Trek: Nebula Class Design Thread

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
Morning all. Totally allowing myself to get distracted(as happens frequently). I started modelling a Trek ship lastnight to bring a new model about. The Pelican design is still going ahead, but I wanted to work on a few things.

I fell out of love with Trek years ago for some reason but have recently started to enjoy it again. It seems that there are people creating new Trek models again as well as revamping old ones So I wanted to choose a ship to add my contribution. Originally I was going to do the Sovereign Class 1701-E but got pulled toward the Nebula Class. I was always fond of it so figured "Why not?".

Thanks to Drex Files I got some nice renders to use as a base and the main flesh of the ship is done pretty much. I'm not sure on a scale yet but I'm aiming to add an internal structure for support so it can go big if I choose.

Not much to see yet really but it's very early days. I also plan on adding the option of the both pods that sit on the rear.
nebula-angled.jpg USS_Farragut,_Generations.jpg
Image28.jpg

On the subject of the Sovereign Class, is there even an interest in a different version? I ask as I may do this one in the near future.

Reactions: linweseregon

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
That sarcasm? :) Nebula or Sovereign?

With the Sovereign, I only knew of two? This was a while back mind you but one didn't print properly and the other looks nice but I've never downloaded it. Last I ready the download links were broken.

Nebula, when I Googled I saw a few. But I thought I'd like to make one with my own take on it and push it so it could be bigger with more detail?

D-WHALE

Utopia Planitia Engineer
Aug 25, 2007
Schwedt/Oder, Germany
No Skip, no sarcasm! just facts!

i mean the Nebula, not the Sovereign!
for the Sov i know 2 variants from Zosho and 1 from another guy (you know who ;) )! the small one from Zosho was good to build for me, the big i didnt tried! The other game converted model has intersections and is a bad unfold!

for the Nebula: there was an old model, which had some mistakes and the model is no more available! then the two versions from Zosho with aztec pattern (also no more available) and my two versions (no aztec) plus recoloring from Sushibones!

but you are right! a bigger one (maybe 1/400) will be a good add for the fleet!

BTW: i have Zosho ENT-E and his Nebula! and as i know Rhaven Blaack asked him to upload his files here! i hope he give the permission!

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
I've kept myself in the dark too long. LOL! If I had known about yours I probably wouldn't have started this and done a new 1701-E instead.

Oh well. I've started this now so I'll finish it. Hope I'm not stepping on any toes. :)

D-WHALE

Utopia Planitia Engineer
Aug 25, 2007
Schwedt/Oder, Germany
well, i have really no problem with it! as i see it from the metaseq lines on the picture you had planed this model allready bigger than 1/1700! and btw i designed this model before Doug Drexler posted the views! i used the views of the Phoenix-variant from Ex-astris:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/nebula1.htm

as you can see, the back of the secondary hull is rounder than by the Sutherland! and i used it for both variants!

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
That's right I remember the secondary hull being much "chunkier".

Yeah I always liked larger models for some reason so the idea is the same with this. I'm adding details now that will later be built up using layers, most of this will still be too small to build as "boxes".

Image29.jpg

Image30.jpg

Reactions: D-WHALE

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
Little update. I've started to create the textures for the hull. I had thought to use the images I'm basing the model off at first to cheat my way through the aztec pattern. The pics aren't high enough quality for my liking so it looks like I'll be doing them from scratch. There is a lacking of detailed reference pics for certain parts/angles of the ship so some of this will be totally creative license in those hard to spot areas.

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
Ok. My brain is fried after an hour or so of drawing out the aztec on the upper saucer and it doesn't look the way I'd hoped. :( I hoped to do this completely myself but I'm not happy with how it's going. I have however downloaded some great shots of the Light Works Enterprise D they created for digitally remastered Next Generation episodes on Blu Ray.

tngent_ortho_small_top.jpg

What I'm thinking is that I re-work these pics to use to texture the Nebula Class? I can do most of the hull using these images as I did before on an Ent B I modelled years ago? It's a cheat I know, but it would give results that I'd be happier with and of course credit would go to The Light Works for the original texture work they've done on their model.

Here's a quick sample to give an idea of how it would look.

Idea.jpg

I'd greatly appreciate any input on this matter before I make a start. Thanks

Last edited:

D-WHALE

Utopia Planitia Engineer
Aug 25, 2007
Schwedt/Oder, Germany
maybe you can ask Robert Bonchune!? He was one of the original creator! Check my friendlist at FB and you can find him! he is very interested in papermodeling!

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
Thanks mate I just did. :) What's your opinion on using the Light Works images? i think they could work really well?

D-WHALE

Utopia Planitia Engineer
Aug 25, 2007
Schwedt/Oder, Germany
well, thats the best option! only the dome could be a problem! if i see it right had the dome of the original studio model also aztec pattern, but the views of the CGI model didn´t show it! maybe Doug had forgot to add as he showed it!?

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
Do you mean the bridge dome?

Nebula on the left(Drex Files), and the Galaxy/1701-D on the right. If you meant the pod on the top, it had a pattern too. That I'd need to do myself using colours matched from the Light Works images to blend in.Image2.jpgfarragut0b.jpg

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
I had noticed. After looking though I noticed some texture issues with the 1701-E too on one nacelle. :) Maybe there is a reason for it?

Thanks for the input mate. I'll use the Light Works images and go from there. :)

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
So I've started cleaning up the upper Saucer. The name is gone, blocked in for where the impulse engines would normally go too. There are some inevitable areas where my model doesn't match up with the Light Works model (you can see it in post 10 around the shuttle bay) that needs attention too. So far so good though.
Image5.jpg

Update rather than a double post.

It's going smoothly now. I expect I'll hit a few snaggs when tackling the engineering hull though.

NebWIP1.png

1908hrs Update: It's better than spamming my own thread. LOL!

Working on the ventral now.

NebWIP2.png

Last edited:
Reactions: linweseregon