trees

Jon Grant

Jun 6, 2004
Sunderland UK
www.railimages.com
I have been working towards building some new trees for the layout and re-vamping some old ones, mangled by either kids or cats.

Here's what I got done last night.

abu.sized.jpg

abv.sized.jpg

Still to get the 'sea foam' or 'Forest in a Box' added to the wire branches

abw.sized.jpg

Jon

CBCNSfan

Mar 11, 2005
NS Canada
Hi Jon, sure are realistic looking trees. Nice work, I too am some what curious about that sea foam stuff, what exactly is it made of, and where do you get it?
Cheers Willis

J&A_RR

Feb 11, 2005
austin, tx (round rock)
Jon, what type of paint do you use on the foam you have the trees in? I need to paint foam for our layout and am curious. thanks, john

EDIT TO ADD: nice trees, I need to get back to work on more trees for our layout. also I painted some stryrofoam today with some flat interior acrylic paint and so far so good. note to self: spray paint no worky on stryrofoam:eek:

Jon Grant

Jun 6, 2004
Sunderland UK
www.railimages.com
Thanks guys

For them's that wants to know, here's how I did the 'wire and seafoam' trees.

Get some lengths of stiff wire (find a flower arranger) and twist together

afi.sized.jpg

Twist the wire into several bundles and keep splitting the bundles as you twist, until you end up with a tree-like object

afj.sized.jpg

Cover the wire tree in 'Artex' - a paint/grit mixture used by decorators - or 'flexi-bark'

afk.sized.jpg

Take a seafoam tree (Forest in a box, Forest in a flash, or the Noch seafoam tree pack) and pull off the branches.

NB - For some of the trees I did, I just shoved a cocktail stick up the seafoam trunk (ouch!), glued it in with superglue, and covered the stick with flexi bark

afl.sized.jpg

I then attached the seafoam branches to the wire former with superglue and sprayed it with matt earth brown and olive green.

afm.sized.jpg

This is where I stop for winter trees, but you can make a summer tree by spraying spray glue on the branches and sprinkling on suitable flocks

afn.sized.jpg

Jon

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Thanks Jon, It seems you have some products I'm not familiar with. Seafoam then is a Noch product? As are forest in a box and forest in a flash? And do any of the US members here know of an equivalent to the Artex Jon mentions? I've made trees using twisted wire like you've done, but only applied bark to the lower reaches, using things like perma gasket and putty. And the standard polyfibre and foam for foliage which is ok but yours look so much better. Will have to look into the Noch line for sure.

Thanks again.