Tree Armatures From Crepe Myrtle

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I know there are currently a couple of threads running on how to make trees...so I thought I'd toss un one more.
In the southeastern U.S. we have a bush called crepe myrtle...they range from 2 - 20 ft tall, & have a large, red, or white multi-flower bloom in mid-summer.
In the fall, the blooms dry up into these multi-pod structures...
I went out & gathered a few this morning, & thought I'd show you what a great little armature these make.
I've cut these to be a good size for N scale, but you could easily cut larger pieces for HO.
The first pic shows the dried flower cut from the bush...

Attachments

• mvc-006f.jpg
    mvc-006f.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 175

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
...using some scissors, I trim off the pods, & have a pretty nice little tree, ready for foliage...

Attachments

• mvc-007f.jpg
    mvc-007f.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 172

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Charlie, they should look great with the foliage on them, over here in the UK there is a similar kind of bush called (sometimes) Babies breath, it is multi coloured red/white and when old and tired (Like me:D) is a rusty colour. You can just shake the thing and the dead buds fall off.
Shamus
wink.gif

tomfassett

Oct 15, 2002
Chandler, AZ
www.trainweb.org
Man, we just don't have plants like those in the desert. Those are pretty robust looking twigs. Plants in the desert grow fast (when it rains--which it does sparingly) and have brittle, "non woody" stalks (more like thick straw). I may have to work a swap deal with some of you east coasters to get my hands on these things...:D

Tom F

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Tom,

Another local alternative would be the dried flower section of a craft store like Michael's or Wal-mart. They have plants that also make good tree armatures. But if you want the East Coast stuff just yell.:D :D :D

Jim de Bree

Jan 21, 2002
Valencia, CA
Visit site
Crepe mertyles are commonly found in southern California. The old Kalmbach book on Scenery written by Bill McClannahan (sp?) had a section discussing the use of crepe mertyle for winter scenes when all the leaves have fallen. I have used them in the past. By the way, this is the best time of year to obtain specimens.