Travis Trailers

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
This structure came about through a business deal between Ken Travis and the MAT. Here is what Mr Travis brought to the table:

Travis Recreational & Construction Vehicles
RV's- Building personalized RV's for individual tastes. Specializing in Off-road. Also, available for refitting your current vehicle. Special deals on MAT Truck alterations, usually done through the MAT dealer , or shipped back to the plant for completion, or final shipping. Also, a dealer for the Mecedes-Benz Uni-Mog. YOUR ALWAYS TRAVELING... WITH A TRAVIS.
Construction Equipment- Advancing vechiles for mining, building construction, pipe laying, and general construction. YOU CAN TRUST A TRAVIS... BUILT FOR TRAVELING.

This building was constructed specifically for travel and horse trailers but is designed for the manufacture of any trailer needs.
eba00157592f00000058.jpg

That is the ORION OIL refinery in the background.
eba00157592f00000059.jpg

Innovation is the father of invention.
You've done it again Robin... it's great, great, great.
And there's them stairs again!!! How doooo yoooo do it? :)
When do you build the ramped loading platform? or are the vehicles driven onto flats from within the building?

Errol

Matthyro

Thanks for the comments Errol. As to making railings and stairs, what I do is cut thin strips of carboard that come out to be 1/32nd of an inch square most of the time. I lay two strips parallel just longer than the needed stair and 3/16 of an inch apart. I then cut 1/4 inch lengths of another strip then glue them to the parallel strips so there is a 1/32nd gap between them. It almost looks like a ladder at this point. When this dries, I cut it to fit and glue in place at a 45 degree angle. Next some more of those 1/4inch strips as posts then finally glue strips to the posts and when dry, trim them. Not really accurate stairs but it looks good enough on the model . Railngs are made the same way.
Ramps will be installed when this structure is finally scenicked in.

Tyson Rayles

Robin the building is fantastic (like we would expect anything less from you:D ), and the oil refinery in the background is awesome too!! Did you see in my outer space post in general talk that the railcar they are using was made in Canada?

Sir_Prize

HEY! THAT'S ME! THAT'S MY IDEA!:D :D :eek:
I... mean... a...

The board members of Travis Transportation, Inc. are pleased with the expansion of our company. Also, the good will between nations in this business deal. This facility will see to the needs of the firms wants for trailer conversion plant in the Great White North. Our home facility is coming along nicely, also. It is located next to the Southeastern U.S. MAT Truck Delivery and Management Offices. Here MAT Truck parts are delivered for distribution to parts stores, etc. Also, all paperwork for the Southeast U.S. are handled on the upper floors.
The hometown facility is remodeling a warehouse building purchased from the defunct Walther's All Rail Rebuilding, Co. Here MAT trucks are fitted with speciality equipment, or general customization. Along with other makes of Off-Road vechiles. The T2 company photographer is on assignment for an ad campaign. Once complete he will be sent to the remodeling site. The firm is researching ares for facilities that will handle the building of Construction Equipment. Once again we thank Robin for his assistance in completing this deal.
THIS IS SO COOL!! (jumping up and down) I... mean... Thank you:D

Drew1125

Excellent work, as usual, Robin!
Did you make this one out of cardboard too?
I too, would LOVE to see some more details on that refinery!

Matthyro

Yes Charlie, cardboard again. The wheels for the trailer are cut offs from 1/8 dowel. 3/16 would have been better but I didn't have any at the time. The six vents on the roof are beads glued to a small piece of cardboard. The rest is all cb.

Matthyro

Refinery

Charlie, I scratchbuilt the refinery a couple of years ago for my previous layout. It now has a new home on my current layout.

Attachments

• ref1.jpg
    ref1.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 138
Robin, your models are awe inspining!

I'm going to become an armchair modeller!:eek:

I already have the pencils/paper/rubber (and time to visit this forum :D )

What I lack is patience, I always want to see what I start on finished! ... an attitude not conducive to quality modelling.

Maybe I should go back to riding the range with Tonto :) .... well it's something I do well. :D

You're a first rate modeller Robin, congratulations.
Now let me go cry in my beer!:(

Errol

Matthyro

Flames and smoke

Tyson, the stack, flames and smoke are all just painted onto the background using those cheepie acrylic paints I find in the local $ store.
Errol, I would like to join you having a draft or too bit not to weep. Modelling means many things to different folks. I have a friend who has the basic track work done and he just likes to run trains. No backdrop, no scenery so its what you want that really counts. I enjoy the scrachtbuilding I do so that's why it gets done. It's just a matter of choices.

roryglasgow

Great models, Robin! As always! Very inspiring!

And that refinery makes me think of Pasadena, TX. "Pasadeener where the skies are greener!"

I've been saving cereal boxes so that I could try my hand at building cardboard models. Once I get the elevated levels installed on my layout, I'm going to start working on the copper mine. I'll have lots of questions for you once I get started!

-Rory