Traveling gantry crane

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
This crane is based on pictures and drawings in an article in the November 83 Model Railroader. I built it mostly out of strip wood. I'm hoping that its not immediately obvious that the operator's cab is taken from an SW-1 switcher. Here's the completed project on a cake turntable, a handy device I just started using while assembling models. Found it at Target for about $6.00

Attachments

• crane1.jpg
    crane1.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 267

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
I built the crane to move colied steel at my Kings Port Mill....

Attachments

• crane2.jpg
    crane2.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 266

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
It works pretty well on COILED steel too! :)
Gotta check my spelling before posting....
Ralph

Attachments

• crane3.jpg
    crane3.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 293

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
It sure looks like it's made of steel Ralph. You have done an excellent job of it and putting it to work right away. It looks perfect in that setting at the Kings Port Mill

spitfire

Looks super Ralph - you've done a great job. Anything to keep that steel coming is a welcome addition as far as I'm concerned! I like the yellow too - looks very industrial and also helps the crane stand out. Too cool!

Just one thing puzzles me - did you actually take an engine apart to build the crane, or was it already in pieces?

cheers
Val

RailRon

A very realistic model in a realistic setting! Excellent modeling, Ralph.

Judging from the photographs I'd never had the idea that this could be wood! This looks like steel - great! :cool:

Ron

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Thanks for the comments everyone! I used Rust-oleum Farm Equipment spray paint because it seemed just the right "safety yellow" color. I think it added the bonus of providing a surface that appears more metal than wood.

Val, I took the cab from a broken, unpowered switcher I had purchased for a buck at a flee market thinking I might refurbish it some day. The rest of the body might be scavanged for other projects. The grill on the front of the loco would look good as a vent on a building maybe....

Ralph

Drew1125

Great model Ralph!
I like it even better now that you've given away the secret about the cab!
What a stroke of genius!
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: