transparent canopy gluing

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by rwguess, Dec 17, 2005.

1. rwguess

rwguess Member

this might be a stupid question.
    what is the best solution for gluing my cut out transparancy sheets to
    the paper canopy frame?
    this is my first real attempt at a serious plane model
    and i am becoming frustrated with my sorry attempts at assembly

fyi i have the canpoy cut out and the transparencys cut to size but cannot get it to stick to the paper

if i use something like super glue wont it make the frame unbendaBLE
    or would i have to have the canopy frame bent into final shape before trying
    the final gluing sequence????

the model being made is MESSERSCHMITT BF-109 G6 / G14 / F4

please model gods make the stupid human "get it"

2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

The best tip I heard was.......printing the frame to a mailing labels, cutting it out and then sticking it to the canopy.

I think this was the best way I have ever heard of doing it with no glue residue.

3. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Johns idea is also the best I have ever heard but if you don't feel like using that one the way that has worked best for me was to put a layer of glue on the transparent piece and allow to dry then glue it to you paper part. Down side is I always wind up with lots of glue on my canopy (I'm a messy builder anyway). Superglue is not a good way any way you shake, the worst problem being that it fogs the transparency.
  4. shrike

shrike Guest

The best method I've found was suggested quite a while back on one of the Polish sites. (I'd gladly give kudos if I could remember where). It's especially effective on a flat framed canopy such as the Bf109.
    Find some zero-thickness two-sided tape. I use 3M #714NA general purpose carpet tape, but I understand there may be better things in the craft stores these days. It has no padding at all, just basically a strip of 2 sided stickiness.

Cut a piece of tape somewhat bigger than your canopy frame. Affix it to the back of the frame, but don't remove the backing yet. Score any lines you need to, then cut out the "glass" and colour the edges if you like. DO NOT cut the outside edge yet.

Peel off the backing and attach to your window material. I tend to use cigarette wrapper cellophane as it's thin, clear and readily available. If your canopy is curved, wrap the cellophane around a suitable form before affixing the frame.

Trim the outside edge of your canopy frame - scissors are often handier for this than a knife - and Viola (or even Cello!) you have a canopy.

It works equally well with a gored or pieced together canopy pattern, but takes more practice and fiddling
  5. rwguess

rwguess Member

both suggestions are awesome and simple
    i am very suprised that i didnt think of this

thank you very much for your help

i will try the tape suggestion first since i have allready printed the canopy and
    cut it thanks very much

6. 46rob

46rob Member

Testor's makes a special glue for transparent plastic that works very well. Find it at most hobby shops. I find that getting both the transparent area and frame bent to close to the final product helps, as any time you laminate two or more thicknesses of anything, the layers will tend to hold the shape in which they're laminated. I've used it of the Zero, Rufe and Kate canopies, as well as the Mig 17 and F-18. Both flat and curved types. Also great for gluing the canopy to the plane. It also has the added feature that you can actually fill small cutout areas with the stuff and it dries to a hard, clear pane.
  7. rowiac

rowiac Member

You might also try "UHU Creativ Craft Glue for Polystyrene Foam & Craft Foils". It's available at Michael's in the US and comes in a yellow and light blue tube. There are several different types of UHU Creativ glues, so make sure you get the right one. This one has worked for me on the copy machine transparency material I use.

8. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

I use the method that Rob mentions. But it can still be messy if you not carefull. And John knows I complain about the messy part alot. I have yet to use the label tape.