Transparant paper !! Help

Discussion in 'Events & News' started by allhallowseve, Mar 25, 2009.

1. allhallowseve

allhallowseve Member

If anyone know were i can find tranparant paper , Please let me know
    The office store i buy it from is no longer selling it :( i have to order it with them for $50.00 for 10 sheet :( I not spending that kind of money i was buying the Avier for $10 for 10 sheet

If anyone know were i can find or buy some off someone that find too
    i need it to done window's and stuff

2. davelant

davelant Member

Please tell us more about this "transparent paper." What is it called; where did you get it, etc. I am ignorant, but it sounds interesting.
  3. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Seems like the transparent paper referenced is overhead transparency sheets that do seem to be expensive in some cases. Best bet is to check out some online office supply stores and see if the price and shipping costs would make it practical. You could also check out some of the discount stores in your area. They sometimes have some very inexpensive office supplies.

If your main concern is for materials to make windows and stuff like that check out the use of some of that clear plastic packaging that almost everything comes in now. In fact, keep your eyes out for any type of clear stuff that could be adapted for windows. I know that I find myself subconciously scoping everything out, trying to figure out if it could be adapted to paper modeling.
  4. ml5716111

ml5716111 Guest

If you are looking for transparencies, there are two kinds of it. One is for laser printers (thicker) and the other is thiner, for inkjet printers. pay attention not to mix between them, because it could ruin the printer.

5. Wendigo

Wendigo Member

I have both types - the ones for the laser printers have all their surface transparent and are glossy both sides while the ones for the inkjet printers have a white strap (aprox. .4 inch wide) and one side is glossy while the other is a bit stiff so that it can be printed. Bought them at a office shop.
  6. Patron_zero

Patron_zero Member

If you are simply drawing or tracing a design and not intending to run the material through a printer, bulk packaged sheet protectors do an inexpensive job for such needs.

The best time to stock up on any similar materials is after the back-to-school sales have ended and finding such in clearance bins is very likely.
  7. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

I pick up my overhead projector sheets at office depot. They will sell by the sheet or by the box (to expensive that way). If you are just tracing or cutting to size, use the laser jet version as they are smooth on both sides as opposed to the ink jet sheets.
  8. clevermod01

clevermod01 designer at clever models

are you refering to "glassene"? thats the paper thats used in envelope windows.
  9. Light_Tech

Light_Tech New Member

There is also a paper that is often referred to as velum, it isn't totally clear but frosted. It comes in various weights and is usually used for drafting. Some office supply stores carry it on the shelves, or there is always ordering it off the net.

10. Dell_Zantoz

Dell_Zantoz New Member

11. cdirto

cdirto New Member

I like this idea! I have 10 boxes of these that were being thrown away at work and grabbed them just because... Now I have a use for them.

Windows for life!!!! Thanks Patron-zero!

12. papaace

papaace New Member

Fiddlers Green site has a modeling tip page that covers window and canopy making! (clear packaging tape).