Transition track question...

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
I have just purchased a length of bridge track from Micro-Engineering, to put on a Campbell kit timber truss bridge, but the only bridge track was Code 83 so I need a way to transition from that code 83 track to my regular Code 100.

Shinohara makes a transition track (83 to 100) but it is back ordered everywhere, and I am wondering jusy how well "transition rail joiners" will work in this situation ? A friend has already told me he has "heard" they do not work very well. Has anyone had any experience (pro or con) with these joiners ?

I would appreciate any guideance on this subject... thanks, Bob

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
There is no guarantee that the Shinohara transition track will help you with the MicroEngineering bridge and track (is the rest of the track also ME, or something else?).

In any case, the transition joiners reenforced by a good solder joint is probably your best bet.

We had guys at the modular club use this special transition track to bridge the joint at the modular interfaces, and they had no end of trouble. I realize this is not exactly the same application, but their assessment ("expensive for what you get") might provide some guidance.

Andrew

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
If you are ok with soldering, I've slide a code 100 joiner on code 100 rail, used pliers to crimp the free half flat, and soldered the code 83 rail to that. Just make sure you have the railheads matched both heightwise and on the inside face, where the wheels make contact. A bit of ballast hides everything.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Crimp the joiner flat, then put the smaller rail on it, line up the railheads and crimp again. I like to use a few short pieces to do the crimping, then try to solder in place with a single clamp and a bunch of heat sinks. If you can do all the soldering at the bench, then add it to the railroad, even better.