Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by davidone, Feb 27, 2007.

1. davidone

davidone New Member

What are some of the best transformers for N scale? Are thier any handheld units for just DC operation? (tethered of course).

2. Metro Red Line

Metro Red Line New Member

More than meets the eye?
    Anything made for HO is good for N...

I'm using the same MRC Tech 3 9500 pack I used on my old HO layout for the N layout I'm building right me something to use before I get the Zephyr and decoders.
  3. MadHatter

MadHatter Charging at full tilt.

You can use Kato, MRC, MP or any of the digital stuff.
  4. darkcurves

darkcurves Member

Anything above 0.5AMP should be good, but usually MRC and Kato are recommended.
  5. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Just one little technical correction. "Transformers" in this scale are really "power packs", or using DC output for rail power. A transformer implies AC output. Yeah, yeah, a common misnomer, but I have to say it anyway...:D:D There's a couple of stickies in the Tech forum that discuss the different power pack outputs.

If you want to get the best, my recommendation is MRC's Tech4. They have all sorts of features including momentum and braking (slow start and stop). They also have a tethered hand-held, and yes, it is for DC operation only.
  6. davidone

davidone New Member

EZ, Yes i did read the stickie in the tech section, very interesting to say the least, you know your stuff. Beings i won't be starting my new N scale layout till the end of the year i'm just investigating what products may be best for me.

Thanks, Dave