Transformer Problem?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by rldthreeintn, Dec 2, 2006.

1. rldthreeintn

rldthreeintn New Member

I'm new to the train world and don't know where to begin. I have a k-line steam locomotive o/o-27 scale that I purchased one year ago. The train jumped the track and the transformer indicated a short (flashing red light). I turned the speed dial off, then cut the power to the transformer and the red light returned to green.

From that point forward however, the locomotive would only travel at full speed. The transformers speed dial had no affect on the engine. The ancillary plug still allowed for slower speeds using the buttons.

The train jumped one more time, and now I can get nothing out of the transformer. There is a green light where the wires plug into the track, but only a flashing red light at the transformer dial. Not even the ancillary power works.

What can I do about this issue? I would think I could 'reset' the transformer some how, but don't know how. Do I need to take it in to a repair shop?

Any feedback is appreciated.

2. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Is there a circuit breaker button somewhere on the transformer that you can press? I don't have any K-Line transformers so I don't know much about them, but maybe one of the other 3-railers here does.
  3. rldthreeintn

rldthreeintn New Member

I found a train shop nearby and they basically told me the transformer was shot and I'd need to get a new one. The think is riveted shut and there are no other outside buttons.

Thanks for your reply.