Transformer layout help

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by ratbabies, Jan 13, 2006.

1. ratbabies

ratbabies New Member

Hello, i am in the process of building a Ho layout model train setup
    So far all the tracks and have been layed, and some landscaping started.
    When I try to test out the set, The trains move sluggishly and then stop. I cleaned all the rails of any tarnish that may be affecting the electrical connection, with no luck. I was told by another train enthusiast that I may not be getting enough power to the tracks, and this is causing the problem. I would like to know what size transformer I need, and where i need to place the terminal track pieces (electric tie ins) the track is approx 99/100 feet in length, and consists of three consentric ovals Thank you for your help
  2. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Do your trains run when they're near the terminal tracks? Does it work any better if you just have one on the tracks?
    If they slow down getting away from the terminal and speed up coming back, the problem is rail joiners not carrying the current. Have the tracks been taken apart and reassembled? Are all the rail joiners on both rails and not sitting under one of them?
    Some of the fellows feel that each rail section should be fed -- I suspect you have sectional track and that might be a bit much.
    I would start by feeding one loop at the far end and possibly at the two points halfway there. You could test by making some wires with alligator clips and just clipping them on to see how that works -- maybe follow the train around.
  3. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

:wave: welcome to the gauge. did you also clean the loco's wheels ?