transfer station

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Model Railroading' started by rebel, Nov 11, 2004.

1. rebel

rebel New Member

Need to know layout of a transfer station where you convert rolling stock from onr gauge to another by changing out the trucks
  2. farmer ron

farmer ron Member

Sorry have not yet seen it where they just change the trucks, seen many photos and models where they have narrow guage tracks on one side of a loading platform and standard guage tracks on the other side and they transfer the load accross. Ron
  3. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

rebel, here are a couple of links to the East Broad Top Railroad's Timber Transfer. They used it to transfer standard gauge cars onto narrow gauge trucks.

Timber Transfer

Mount Union
  4. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

I believe that Canadian National changed trucks on cars that were ferried from the maritimes to Newfoundland (Newfoundland ran narrow guage)
  5. rebel

rebel New Member

thanks, just what i needed, had another type already but it was way to hard to model, the ebt way is perfect, thanks
  6. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Your Welcome :wave: :wave:
  7. SAL Comet

SAL Comet Member

Interesting, I didn't know such a thing was ever done
  8. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Someplace in my drawer of unbuilt kits, I have a car transporter. It's a pair of racks on wheels for carrying HO cars on N gauge (HOn30) track. Origin European (Germanic?).
  9. boppa

boppa Member

Another widely-used solution to the problem is known as a bogie exchange: each carriage, wagon or locomotive is put on a section of dual-gauge track under a heavy crane. It is then lifted off its bogies, which are pulled out and replaced by equivalent bogies of a different gauge. This technique was first used on Victorian Railways' diesel locomotive B60, and has been widely used for freight cars, especially in the wheat harvest season when every wagon is badly needed. However it is relatively slow in practical terms, because a train must be broken up and each wagon treated separately.

it was a common problem here in .au for a while lol and they did indeed swap out bogies
    not sure exactly how many different gauges ended up in use in australia-3 major(in different states australiawide) and several minor ones
    edit to make it clearer the guages were in different states