transfer station

rebel

Need to know layout of a transfer station where you convert rolling stock from onr gauge to another by changing out the trucks

Sorry have not yet seen it where they just change the trucks, seen many photos and models where they have narrow guage tracks on one side of a loading platform and standard guage tracks on the other side and they transfer the load accross. Ron

Glen Haasdyk

I believe that Canadian National changed trucks on cars that were ferried from the maritimes to Newfoundland (Newfoundland ran narrow guage)

rebel

thanks, just what i needed, had another type already but it was way to hard to model, the ebt way is perfect, thanks

Pooh Bah
Someplace in my drawer of unbuilt kits, I have a car transporter. It's a pair of racks on wheels for carrying HO cars on N gauge (HOn30) track. Origin European (Germanic?).

boppa

Another widely-used solution to the problem is known as a bogie exchange: each carriage, wagon or locomotive is put on a section of dual-gauge track under a heavy crane. It is then lifted off its bogies, which are pulled out and replaced by equivalent bogies of a different gauge. This technique was first used on Victorian Railways' diesel locomotive B60, and has been widely used for freight cars, especially in the wheat harvest season when every wagon is badly needed. However it is relatively slow in practical terms, because a train must be broken up and each wagon treated separately.

http://www.kepl.com.au/ihvic/allaboard.html

it was a common problem here in .au for a while lol and they did indeed swap out bogies
not sure exactly how many different gauges ended up in use in australia-3 major(in different states australiawide) and several minor ones
edit to make it clearer the guages were in different states