Transfer Locos

David Rosser

To All: Have always been interested in the big double ended transfer locos built by Baldwin and Lima (maybe others also?). There is an occasional brass version on e-Bay, but my budget does not operate in the brass world! 1, Does anyone know if anybody has produced a model in HO of the non-brass type? 2, If there is no such thing, it seems that a long chassis, six axle loco could be converted into a passable ( not perfect) facsimile. Two squarish shells should fit with one cab in the center. Vents, rails, stacks,number boards, etc. would all have to be fabricated, not an impossible task. The entire unit would probably be not of accurate scale length, but with the right hood height and modification of the undersill tanks, the overall visual effect might be pretty close. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks, Dave :confused:

Russ Bellinis

I don't have access to my "Locomotive Cyclopedia" vol 2 right now, but were the Baldwin transfer loco hoods much different from the Baldwin switcher? It would seem you might be able to kit bash one from two Athearn Baldwin switch engines with a custom fabricated frame using an Athearn six axle mechanism.

NYC-BKO

For the trucks you would need the ones off of a Stewart AS 616. Both the Baldwin and the Lima had those odd fabricated 'C' trucks. It would be a challenging Scratch/Bash indeed!

Russ Bellinis

I found my copy of Locomotive Cyclopedia vol2, but the only transfer loco they showed was the Lima. They also had a Lima switcher in there, and the transfer was two Lima switcher hoods back to back with a cab between. Unfortunately I don't know of anyone making a Lima switchr in plastic.