Transfer caboose

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by Mike B, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Mike B

Mike B New Member

I have been searching, but unable to find anything close enough to the transfer caboose I want for my "Monon" layout. It is short, looks similar to a bay-window(but it isn't) and has a rather extensive front and back "porch"

I am relatively new to this hobby, and would appreciate any suggestions as to how to approach building this little transfer caboose.

I tried to attach URL for photo-hope it sticks.
  2. Mike B

Mike B New Member

can be seen at
  3. Iron Goat

Iron Goat Member

Does anyone know the "time line" on the transfer cabs ??? When did they first appear on the various RR's ?

4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Bob: Canadian National seems to have started building transfer cabeese in 1977-1980. There are still 3 on the roster. (Based on 1986 roster)
    But I seem to remember models of the "shed on a flat car" type from the 50s or 60s.
  5. ak-milw

ak-milw New Member

If you go to the Walthers site and search for transfer caboose you should turn up a kit by Moloco. This kit and a 40' flat car should give you want you want. All you will have to add are some railings, I made mine with .040 stryne angle and .010 wire.
  6. Mike B

Mike B New Member

Thanks Andy,
    I checked it out.
    The Monon Transfers have a longer "Shed', also-forgot to mention-I'm talking "N" guage.
    This does give me an idea or two-like 'chopping" a bay window and mounting it on a flat car. Worth a try I guess.
  7. sw900fla

sw900fla New Member

Transfer caboose option

If you are talking about N scale , you might want to use the prototype method, convert a caboose. Some home-shop bulit RR cabeese from old boxcars.

If you can get a picture of the top , find a similar box car and cut the ends, sand the sides, add windows and the Porches.

Might be worth a shot.

8. CN1

CN1 Active Member

9. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

MR ran an article about building a transfer caboose based on a flat. Sometime in the 1990s - check the Index of Magazines at

10. COX 47

COX 47 Member

Mike are you modeling Monon in N scale? doyou have any pictures? Have you done any engines or cars yet? I did a lot of railfanning on the Monon a few years ago.I did some stuff in HO but am working in N now.....Cox 47
  11. Mike B

Mike B New Member

First off - sorry for the delayed response. I am out- of - town through Mon through Wed.
    Along with the two Atlas H15-44's ( #45, &46) -I have re-painted a UP RS2 Black and gold. It came out pretty good for who did it! Haven't got ant lettering on it yet. I have a few Monon decals.

I have been buying Monon cars as I can get them
    There are five diffeent boxcars (40') out there. I have seven of one, and at least two of each of the others. I have three Gons, and four hoppers.

I have painted un-decorated NE-6 cabeese, (red) but they are also awaiting decals, lettering, etc.

I don't have any photos-don't own a digital camera. I know- disposables, etc. Just haven't gottoen around to it.