tramways (Trolleys Strassenbahn)

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Wait until "Interurban" sees this post! There are few guys on here that model "under the wire." You might want to put this post in the general section, though. I'm not sure how many of them model in ho scale.

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Russ Bellinis said:
Wait until "Interurban" sees this post! There are few guys on here that model "under the wire." You might want to put this post in the general section, though. I'm not sure how many of them model in ho scale.

:D :D To late Russ I`v seen it :D :D

Yes indeed there are a few traction(trolley trams interurban) nuts on the gauge
Jacques1200.

I have a few post concerning this also Hudson electric, ross33r to name a few.
Best thing is to go into the members section look up the names mentioned. and check out their posts also contributing members.
That will get you into the traction names on this forum.

I model in HO but do like o gauge :D

Looking forward to more post`s from you concerning them things that glide under wire.
:wave:

ed acosta

Aug 4, 2005
Washington-British Columbia
Trolleys in HO Scale

You are not alone! I grew up riding trolleys before my parents were able to buy and automobile. These are among the finest memories of my childhood. Today I enjoy collecting and painting H.O. trolley models. May I ask what part of the world you are modelling?
-Ed

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
ed acosta said:
You are not alone! I grew up riding trolleys before my parents were able to buy and automobile. These are among the finest memories of my childhood. Today I enjoy collecting and painting H.O. trolley models. May I ask what part of the world you are modelling?
-Ed

I do not know what Jacques120 is doing Ed he should be back soon.

I model the 1940s and started to build my L/O in the winter after tearing down the one you see posted on the gauge.

I scratch build interurbans from Canada or USA..

Jacques1200

Dec 26, 2004
Tramways

Thanks for your reply.
I am french and on top of it I am a collectors of HO Trolleys. I enjoy quite a large collection with few commuters such Montreal Ste Catherine commuters.
I have many american brass made trolleys as well as french home made tramways built in copper .
So far I have been collecting in my "little corner" but would love to get in touch with other collectors to exchange infos . Hobbies are full of tricks I mean knowhow and sometime its a lost of time to look for things which so many people have already found.
I have an URL both french & english with sections by countries with many pics of my Trolleys and also an inventory .
Jacques
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/transportsminiatures/

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
That is a great web page Jacques.

Bit of History about myself.
I work for the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC).
In my 25 year career with them I have operated PPC and CLRV also the CLAV .
Spent ten years plowing the streets of the downtown core.

I have many friends who collect PCC models and slide`s , video`s etc.

Although our Traction in Action modual depicts heavy electric`s we display a few peter wits and pcc`s on the L/O.

I was looking at your fine collection and it`s going to make a few people drool when I show them your site.
Keep up the good work friend. :thumb:

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Definitely a nice collection! Yes, there are a few "juice jacks" on this site. I have a strong interest in streetcars and interurbans, especially the Sacramento Northern and PG&E lines in Sacramento.

I have a few trolley models (Ken Kidder single and double truck Birneys, and some Bachmann Brills, and I'm kitbashing a Bachmann cable car model into a "California-style" trolley) and a couple of freight motors, but I don't yet have anything running "under the wire." My layout models a line which used to be electric (the Sacramento Northern) but converted to diesel-electric over the years. I do have plans to install poles and wires and thus "back-date" my layout to the electric era, I just haven't done it yet...

Trolley modeling has always been a small portion of the model railroad hobby, but many feel that it will encounter a renaissance in the United States, as cities realize that getting rid of their trolley lines was a bad idea and Light Rail Vehicles and streetcars once again become common!

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
jetrock said:
Trolley modeling has always been a small portion of the model railroad hobby, but many feel that it will encounter a renaissance in the United States, as cities realize that getting rid of their trolley lines was a bad idea and Light Rail Vehicles and streetcars once again become common!

What a lot of people don't realise is that many cities did not have anything to do with getting rid of trolley lines and light rail. Los Angeles used to have the Pacific Electric known locally as simply the "Red Cars." The PE was owned by SP. The president of GM decided that GM should buy as many local electric trolly and interurban lines as possible. The plan was to eliminate the trolleys and switch to busses. The worst case would be that GM would sell GMC busses to all of these companies, the best case would be that they could persuade the riders of trolleys to buy Chevrolets, and close down the trolly lines. G.M. was eventually sued for what they had done and were found guilty as was the president of GM. The penalty for systematically dismantelling all of these trolley lines was a $5,00.00 or $10,000.00 fine to GM and the president of GM had to pay a $1.00 fine. Most cities that still have trolly lines running, have owned the lines from the beginning.

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for that information Russ.

G M are not buying my L/O! :eek:

Sad to say that did do a lot of damage to our environment, and changed the way City planners thought for years and years. Hopefully they will come to there senses now.

So lets have many more traction fans building traction L/O please :p :rolleyes: :D

ed acosta

Aug 4, 2005
Jetrock,
Nice to hear that someone is modelling the Sacramento Northern. Back in 1960-1970 Ed Suydam was producing many of the trolley models in brass. Many of these were the Niles coaches and of course the Bidwell observation car. I recall that there was a model of a Northern Electric box motor. These models turn up now and then at train swap meets.

Yours Trolley,
-Ed

ed acosta

Aug 4, 2005
Russ Bellinis,
I think you were on target with your reasons on the demise of the Pacific Electric. But there is another half to the story. The end of WWII brought new-found prosperity into the region and every family wanted their own automobile. Traffic problems worsened, and of course the Pacific Electric's tracks were either sharing the street with automobiles, or they were crossing busy intersections blocked with traffic. As automobiles became more affordable, and gas at the pump so reasonable, most Pacific Electric riders who were getting fed up with the length of commuting by trolley bought automobiles instead; afterall, the freeways in those days could save a lot of time on a commute! Sadly, I miss the old red cars.
-Ed

Jacques1200

Dec 26, 2004
Chris,
My first contact with the TTC operation was a ride on PW but that was in the early 50's.I have been in Toronto quite often and ride the PCC's sometime just along the Jonge street .
Those PW cars were great and they had a personnality like the Boston 4 & 5 the Philadelphia "nearside" the Chicago "Palace" the New-York "Huffliner" without mentioning the red Trolleys in LA such as the "Huntington" etc...As a modellor and collector I am a bit old fashion since in the States as well as in Europ all those so called LRT are almost alike but of course confortable reliable and everthing in "able", but no appeal for a modellor looking for a scratch build.Needless to say how happy I am to see that in France alone every city has by now trolleys operation or projects under way.Even Paris will open early next year the first section of a trolley line on the ring that will connect the subway lines and the two trolleys lines we have in the suburbs.
My Grand Father was in charge of the maintenance of Trolleys in the East part of France near the Luxembourg and German boarder. He decide when I reached 18 that a summer job on his trolleys could be a good way to keep me busy and my first jod as a trolley operator was to work in the yard and do the sorting between the trailers and motorcars depending on the hours of the day. Rather complicated since some of the motorcars could not pull a certain serie of two trailers since they lack the power !
I didn't built a big mess but thanks to have been help the first two weeks. I devellop Mind you they were all built between 1910 and 1930 with a mixture of French and German cars all with noo airbrakes but well maintain till the disapearance of the network in the la
Well that how I begin

Jacques1200

Dec 26, 2004
Chris,
My first contact with the TTC operation was a ride on PW but that was in the early 50's.I have been in Toronto quite often and ride the PCC's sometime just along the Jonge street .
Those PW cars were great as they had a personnality like the Boston 4 & 5 the Philadelphia "Nearside" the Chicago "Palace" the New-York "Huffliner" without mentioning the red Trolleys in LA such as the "Huntington" etc...As a modellor and collector I am a bit old fashion since in the States as well as in Europ all those so called LRT are almost alike but of course confortable reliable and everthing in "able", but no appeal for a modellor looking for a scratch build.Needless to say how happy I am to see that in France alone every city has by now trolleys operations or projects under way.Even Paris will open early next year the first section of a trolley line on the ring that will connect the subway lines and the two trolleys lines we have in the suburbs.
My Grand Father was in charge of the maintenance of Trolleys in the East part of France near the Luxembourg and German boarder. He decide when I reached 18 that a summer job on his trolleys could be a good way to keep me busy and my first jod as a trolley operator was to work in the yard and do the sorting between the trailers and motorcars depending on the hours of the day. Rather complicated since some of the motorcars could not pull a certain serie of two trailers since they lack the power !
I didn't built a big mess but thanks to have been help the first two weeks. Those were all built between 1910 and 1930 with a mixture of French and German cars all with no airbrakes but well maintain till the disapearance of the network in the late 40's to the benefit of Buses manufacturers.
Well this is how I begin showing interest in trolleys and started some 35 years ago my colection as well as trying modelling!
Take care jacques

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
Thanks a lot for your history Jacques.
I have attatched some pictures of old equipment that use to roam Toronto you may remember these :D

They are stored and operated at Halton Radial museum.
Enjoy.

Attachments

• P1010108.jpg
    P1010108.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 70
  • P1010135.jpg
    P1010135.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 72
  • P1010136.jpg
    P1010136.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 74
  • P1010114.jpg
    P1010114.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 67

Jacques1200

Dec 26, 2004
Chris,

Many thanks for the pictures this is much appreciated since I have a MTS/Fairfield HO model of the PW which is still unpainted (I am a bit lazy) and that will help me a lot for the exact color scheme. When modelling that is always the problem to find which red, blue etc...
One of the old car looks a bit like the Boston 4 ? It has be built by the former TTC ?
Jacques:thumb:

Jacques1200

Dec 26, 2004
Chris,
Thanks for the pictures. I will need them to do the deco of a Brass made MTS/Fairfield PW that I have not touched yet.
Jacques

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
Jacques1200 said:
Chris,

Many thanks for the pictures this is much appreciated since I have a MTS/Fairfield HO model of the PW which is still unpainted (I am a bit lazy) and that will help me a lot for the exact color scheme. When modelling that is always the problem to find which red, blue etc...
One of the old car looks a bit like the Boston 4 ? It has be built by the former TTC ?
Jacques:thumb:

I will find out more and get back to you Jacques :cool:

Jacques1200

Dec 26, 2004
Chris,
Yes The 1326 car ! while this is definitely not a Boston type 4 it has some ressemblance with the roof deck I I do not remember having seen this type in Toronto maybe they were already phased out ! Looks like a strong machine.
Jacques as cool as smelting Iceberg !
Jacques