Trams and urban rail

MinnMonkey

Apr 11, 2005
After browsing The-Guage, I am thinking in a few months starting an urban layout.

Does anyone know where I can find tram cars, such as Simmons or Bombardier light-rail vehicals typically found in Europe and North America (preferably articulated models). I would love to get a model of the Hiawatha Line vehicals found here in Minneapolis, but realize that may be impossible unless I painted my own:

3.jpg

I am also wondering about typical subway/elevated trains found in Chicago or New York.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
As far as I can remember, the cars that were ordered by Boston and San Francisco (were those Siemens?) were available in RTR plastic.
New York subway cars are available.
For anything else, you'll have to look for a similar European car and modify/repaint.

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
I think Model Power makes a Boeing SF MUNI style LRV, and Bachmann makes a PCC, but other than that there are few inexpensive models of modern LRV's--I'd love to find a Siemens U2 model in plastic!

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
60103: MUNI has several generations of vehicles, ranging from the old PCC's, Peter Witts and Iron Monsters of the historic trolley line to the new Breda LRV's on the subway line. The model I was thinking of is an older LRV from the seventies, that MUNI is retiring (replacing with the silver Bredas) and now that I look for it in the Walther's catalog I can't even find it.

Siemens does some neat LRV's--I had a chance to tour their Sacramento facility and they produce some impressive equipment! Their giant railcar mover (a big platform on wheels with rails on it, used to move LRVs and other rail equipment to different bays and to loading/unloading areas) is super impressive!

MinnMonkey said:
After browsing The-Guage, I am thinking in a few months starting an urban layout.

Does anyone know where I can find tram cars, such as Simmons or Bombardier light-rail vehicals typically found in Europe and North America (preferably articulated models). I would love to get a model of the Hiawatha Line vehicals found here in Minneapolis, but realize that may be impossible unless I painted my own:

The Japanese manufacturer Modemo makes a series of articulated LRVs (called the 300 series) in several colours. I have three and they all run super smoothly including at very slow speed. I tried to attach a photo but it was disallowed as it has already been uploaded in another post (ages ago) here http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=2895&page=3&pp=15

MinnMonkey

Apr 11, 2005
Thanks!

I really like those Modemo LRV's. Do many hobby shops carry those, or would I have to order them?

Anyone know where I can get heavy-rail subway vehicals?

Here are a couple of shots of the Modemo 300 Series LRVs in the green and orange schemes (blue also available).

Hobby shops here in Australia carry them on the shelf.

For mail order, you could also try Doug Coster's "Japanese Model Supplies" in Sydney at http://japanese-model-supplies.com/

Attachments

• Modemo Srs 300 Green_1.jpg
    Modemo Srs 300 Green_1.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 180
  • Modemo Srs 300 Orange.jpg
    Modemo Srs 300 Orange.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 181

FrankG

Nov 19, 2004
Anyone know what the structure is in the background of MinnMonkey's original pic?