Trains, multiple Sites, and Miscellaneous

Allstate81140

Feb 19, 2004
Visalia, CA.
Visit site
Hi all. My name is Jack, though I come in under (Allstate81140), and just have a few newbie comments.

First of all, I have no idea where the h--l I am on here as far as getting around. Ha ha. However, I will learn. Right now I am busy (retired should explain it) and won't be on here much in the beginning, but hope to get into this before too long.

I love trains both real and model, and always have. Age doesn't change that. I am a kid when it comes to those things roaring around the table. H--l, I still wave at engineers. Point on this paragraph being: modeling has changed so much since I used to hook up, wire up, and make scenery for my model trains that I haven't a clue what is out there right now. I read some of your posts on here, and feel like it is in a foreign language. (That really wasn't a play on words either-ha ha).

Speaking of that, and I just love Canadians and would love to visit Canada before the Lord calls me in to help him with those big trains in the sky. Can I tactfully ask how it is that there are so many Canadian members on this group? I am just curious, as I was referred here by what is called 'Handymanwire'. They tried a train group with their electrical and handyman groups, but it didn't take off. However, it did tell me about this one. That group is mostly comprised of Canadian members also. Does anyone on here realize how neat that is, that we can write to someone in Canada from the U.S., or write England from the U.S., or other countries, and vice versa?

I have a website for antiques, but never had the fortune to have any Canadians on it. That part is strange. I have one from Italy, and one from Australia.

As far as what I read about two prominent members leaving, that will happen. I moderate my group, and they will stay for sometimes two or three years and then move on. Many different reasons. New ones will come. As long as your site keeps out the language and such, as I see it does, and mine does, they will go on and prosper. New members maybe instead of some of the older ones you were used to, but life does change as our needs do.

Boy, that is the only bad part. When I start posting on here, there will be books like the one I just wrote. I can never say anything in a few words. Ha ha.

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Hello Jack and a big wecolme to the gauge,, I see you are a man of few words :D :D :D :D :thumb:
Enjoyed reading your intro, Glad you like up here in the north , I do to, been here 24 years now. From M/cr UK before that .
( thats where they taught me to speak ,, funny :) )

There is a lot of new stuff out there to help us create our little world of Railway`s.
So ask away and you will get lots of help here.

What scale are you modeling in??

Allstate81140

Feb 19, 2004
Visalia, CA.
Visit site
Hi all, and thanks for the warm welcome. Right now, I just have boxed up HO, and an old whistling Lionel locomotive and tender that I need to take pictures of and get information on. I am thinking of putting up some trains in my new Cushman garage. What a topoff that would be. The trains are nothing fancy, but I like them. As soon as I can post more, I will have lots of questions. In the midst of installing cooling on my home right now, and boy is it a nice hot job.

The address of my site homepage is www.cushmangroup.org. That will get you to the home page and allow you to peek in and read messages. To access photos or anything else, you have to sign up with a Yahoo ID and password. I am sure some of you have been through the Yahoo scenario. Can be frustrating.

Here is a link from a Cushman meet I just got back from last week. It was held in Wichita Falls, Texas. I always try to grab some pictures.

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v252/cushman-photos/

Have a nice Independence day all, and again thanks for the welcome. Jack.

P.S. I don't think I am a geezer yet, as I am 65, but boy I am getting there. Ha ha. As long as I can ride scooters, and play with trains, I am young.

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Jack just one more welcome from a transplanted Belgian. I've been in the US since I was a kid. To say your not bashful would be an understatement I guess and you definately love the English language because you know how to use those words without any reservation. Please don't ever apologize for liking to talk we love a good story. Pat

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
Matthyro said:
Welcome Jack, I don't think we Canadians are a large percentage of the members here but we do enjoy the cameraderie of the world wide membership here.

Robin is right, there is a sample of almost every country of the world. There are lots of lurkers around here which is fine with me. Anything to spread the infection of the hobby. :D :D It may seem like there are a lot of Canucks here, but I think that is because they are such a talkitive bunch. :D :D :thumb: :thumb:
Just wanted to add my welcome to The Gauge, as far as I'm concerned, the friendliest bunch of people drawn together by a common intrest that you could ever hope to meet.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Jack, another welcome from good old Europe - there is also a bunch of Europeans active here (although I am the one and only jodelling, chocolate-eating and fondue-cooking Swiss :D).

We are looking forward to your questions. You'll see that you will get competent answers from our gurus. And this is just great for all of us, because we all can always learn something new from the other Gaugers.

That's why the Gauge is such a great forum. Enjoy your stay here!

Ron

Allstate81140

Feb 19, 2004
Visalia, CA.
Visit site
Hi all. I just wanted to say thanks again for the warm welcome, and thanks to the additional members who welcomed me on.

I will take some pictures of my Lionel soon and will have a lot of questions, especially after I do some reading on here.

Got to finish my cooling system, and find an additional moderator for my site as occasionally, I fall behind on it keeping in touch with members, answering technical questions, etc. So, when that is taken care of, I will spend some time chatting and learning on here.

Thanks again all. I appreciate the welcome. Have a nice day tomorrow. Jack.

Allstate81140

Feb 19, 2004
Visalia, CA.
Visit site
Hi all. Brian, Val, and Jim, thanks for the welcome. As I said in earlier posts, I won't be posting much at first, but then will with questions. Hopefully, eventually, I can help other new members out. Right now, I am a novice who hasn't set up a train in almost 50 years. I see what members on here have for scenery, and I think it is a real train. I guess things have really changed since the plaster mountains, and balsa wood trestles that I used to make. Used to always strip wire with my teeth. Can't believe I was that dumb, course I was about 12.

All have a nice day. Jack.