Trains and wives

Chaparral

Feb 5, 2007
Calgary Alberta
I have just learned that a very close friend had to put his wife of 42 years into a full care facility. We knew it would happen, but it still struck us deeply.
On Christmas morning last year, the wife of another very close friend died of a heart attack brought on by a short severe respitory disease.
My wife came with me to get the proper benchwork building materials, and she organized the laundry room to make space for my layout. She said I wouldn't enjoy the railroad if didn't do it right from the begining.
Our wives,spouses and partners are central in our enjoyment of model railroading.
Without their tolerance, support and criticism, our hobby would be clandestine and unfulfilling.
I think you'll agree.
Just had to say it.
If this post is inappropriate, it may be deleted.

wickman

Dec 8, 2005
Ontario canada
You are so right and although my wife didn't rearrange any rooms and does sometimes nag at me when I'm working at the kitchen table on a kit that somehow grew roots she does understand and respect me for how much I truely enjoy the hobby.:wave:

myltlpny

Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, VA
www.homesiteinc.com
So true!!
My wife has given me free reign of the bonus room as my "Man Cave", of which my model railroad takes up over half. While she would love a guest bedroom, she's never even once hinted I should take down my layout. She's been nothing but supportive of my model railroading and my show car. She's the best. I am truly a blessed and lucky man.:)

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
My fiancee wrote me a letter soon after our engagement with the words "when we have house you can have a whole train room"

I highlighted it and saved it. Seeing how she signed the bottom, it is now an official contract ready to pulled out at a moments notice.

My future wife is very tollerant....all she asks is that she has a scrapbooking room as well.

TJ

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
Wives are nice and mine tolerates the trains. For me it gives us some time apart which is cool since we do 99% of everything else together. I'll keep her but to tell the truth I don't want her playing with my trains she just might not like my road names or style of layout. :)

hooknlad

Mar 28, 2005
Woodbridge, NJ USA
We are in the midst of looking for a new home. My wife is the one looking and I will be the one relocating. She knows the requirements of the room needed for the new layout. She is 100 % hands on with our hobby. The Real Estate agent also knows my needs as well. I love my wife and have absolutely NO regrets saying "I do " , 10 years ago. She is my best friend. If there was a chance of a redo in life, all I'd ask, is that I could've met her earlier in my life, so that we would have had more time together in life...

How many of you have NO regrets?

wickman

Dec 8, 2005
Ontario canada
60103 said:
When we go out looking at new homes, my wife always tells them that we need a big basement for the model railway. Right now she thinks we should get a house with more basement under it!
Perfecttttttttttttttt:thumb:

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
now she thinks we should get a house with more basement under it!
i barely got away with the space im using now,but she understands i love trains and that i love her more! :D atleast i seems that way....LOL,my wife angie will tolerate my shows and i tolerate her tupperware parties but we both understand each other and never regret sayin "i do".--josh

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
:D I've been married 30 odd years now.....and with her they have been real odd....:D

She played mom and sometimes dad through my 20 year career in the Army, through hardship (no family) tours and deployments. Once I was forced to retire for good about 2 years ago she encouraged me to get a hobby. When I decided to go back into trains she was happy cause she likes working on the scenery and buildings. We went to a train show in Dec and she didn't complain when I spent way more than I should have and while having lunch she almost talked me into going back and spending more!

Heck I like her so much that when she turned 50 and I could of traded her in on 2 25 year olds I kept hersign1 sign1 sign1 .

No regrets:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Rick

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
Oh did I say I didn't need no stinking room. :) The layout is smack dab in the TV room without so much of a bad word.

However this is the only hobby I have for myself. I can't even go fishing by myself because she has the boat behind the truck and the engine warm even before I can get dressed. To tell the truth I would like the fishing better if she didn't catch all the fish. :)

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
Renovo, ya have to teach them wives fishing etiquette, that means she aint supposed to catch a fish till after you do and if she hooks one bigger than what you have she's supposed to break the line and always catch one or two less than you....huting is the same, she is supposed to wait to shoot her deer until after you have got yours....then she is supposed to pass on any deer thats the same size or larger than the one you got!sign1 sign1 sign1

Rick

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
We have been fishing partners for twenty years now from Canada to Florida. I still remember her picking out our first boat a brand new Skeeter Bass Boat with big black Mercury. The worse thing about that was I used to get out and hook up the strap and crank it on to the trailer. One day she said just pull the trailer into the water and she landed that Skeeter perfectly on the trailer.

What the heck she always remembered to pack my favorite lunch and drink so I let her drive the boat. I thought it was a good trade off beside I didn’t have to get my feet wet putting the boat on the trailer anymore.

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
I came back into model railroading 25 years after we got married. My mom brought me back a Marklin HO locomotive after a trip to our native country ( Belgium ).
My wife even helped me to build a diorama for it , but she looks upset when after that she saws me measuring a 4' by 8' space for a minimalistic HO layout.
I removed an unnecessary hollow core door in our appartment, so she said : It's a hollow core door layout or nothing. ( I like people who draw the line somewhere ) . So it was N scale for me or nothing at all.
When I came back from the LHS with a DC pack, some Atlas N track, a GP18 engine and a few boxcars she found it "very cute".
So at least she's understanding.
My nice wife is from Brasil , her 4 generations family ( plus 2 dogs and 2 cats ) live in the same house, she's already retired and she told me "When You'll get retired ( 3 months from now lol ) we'll keep our condo in Montréal ( my mom and sister who married a Canadian are here in Québec ) and we'll buy a house in Brasil and there you'll have 1 entire room for your HO layout.
So it looks like we'll be travelling between an N scale Layout in Montréal ( we both like it here in Canada ) and a HO scale layout in Brasil . Our Brasilian nephew likes model railroading too. So things looks good.
Sorry for the long post.
So, to conclude I love my wife, she tolerates my hobby and I would like to get her more involved into it. She has artistic talents ( she likes to draw ) and I'm sure she'll help me when I'll be into the scenery phase on my layout. So far I'm in the phase of rail soldering and painting so she's waiting to help me.
My wife is great and understanding.

oldtanker: I like your "fishing étiquette" mention lol because my brother in law and my sister each year have a salmon fishing trip in Québec. I'll for sure mention this to her.
As I will get retired soon , I'm sure my sister and her husband will appreciate if my wife and I join them on their next salmon fishing tripthis fall.
I'm a little rusty on the fishing standpoint because the last time I fished was 30 years ago at a fishing camp in Brasil and the only fish I caught was a piranha fish