Train wreck on my N gauge MAT

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Wrecks like this one happened when I was thinking of something else. I had unplugged the loconet cable from the MAT and plugged it into the Georgetown Sub not remembering that I still had a consist of two analog GP 40 locos sitting on the track coupled to a forty car train.
When I turned my Digitrax unit on to operate the switcher on the Georgetown Sub the power to the track on the Mat was also turned on. Without a throttle set at address 00 these two analog locos flew into reverse and this photo shows the result. Sure made me stop and think. I guess it could have been worse.
tw2xl.jpg

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
How many Kadees did that one cost ? I can imagine the roadbed littered with centering springs for a month----I know it's a big oooops but, it's still pretty cool looking.

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
Nice! I'm guessing a loss of about $75,000,000 in locomotives, rolling stock and product's and revenue. Boy it's amazing how those numbers can really add up. We need more pictures like this.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Yikes!!!! A testimony for not laying track too close to the layout edge. That nice few inches of real estate saved you some bucks there Robin!
Ralph

Marxed

Jan 29, 2005
rather nasty crash! about time someone posted some crash pictures!

one time when i was recording a movie with an on-board camera on one of the marx flat cars, my train derailed and i had a nice on-board video of the crash :-D

N

nachoman

wreck pictures...cool idea!! A little gomez addams, right here on the gauge.

kevin

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
No, no damage Chris. nothing fell to the floor. I was almost too embarrased to admit that this happened but I then thought it may help others who might do dumb things with DCC

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
David, what I have learned from this experience is to not leave any analog (no decoders) locos on a DCC track unless you have a throttle in hand adressed to 00 which is what analog locos use with Digitrax. DCC puts constant voltage on the track so when turned on full power is fed to a non throttle controlled analog motor causing the loco to accelerate like crazy. Thanks for all the suggestions and comments everyone. You guys are a hoot!

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Well,a full investigation is called for plus the crews and dispatcher will need a complete drug screen..All involve will be on suspension till further notice. :eek:

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
You're just lucky you don't live in the US. If you did NTSB people would be crawling around all over your layout and you would have to halt all operations until you could prove to them that you have correctly identified the cause of the problem (submitted in triplicate to six different agencies) and have taken steps to assure them that this will never happen again. Also if one of the cars were carrying chemicals, the EPA would be hot on the heels of the NTSB. You would have to remove that section of your layout and dispose of it in an approved hazardous waste dump. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
You Canucks have it easy! :D :D :D :D