Train Station Kitbash (N Scale)

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by Drew1125, May 26, 2003.

1. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

A couple of my daughters got me these two Model Power kits this past X-mas, & since I don't have a layout that they would fit on, I've decided to build a diorama of a small city train station...

Here's the kits still in the box...

Attached Files:

2. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

When I opened the box for the "hospital" kit, I found these neat little archways that were supposed to form the lower story of the kit...I thought these would work nicely as a kind od open-air pavilion that passengers would pss through on their way to the boarding platforms...

Attached Files:

3. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Here's the beginings of the main structure & the pavilion...

Attached Files:

4. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

I found some factory windows from an HO kit, & used them, & some angle & strip top make a large skylight for the pavilion...

Attached Files:

5. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Since only 2 sides of the structure will be visible on the diorama, I was able to use some of the extra walls to build an annex on the side of the main building...

Attached Files:

6. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

I added the trim from the kit, & painted everything the same color, then gave everything a wash of India Ink & alcohol...I also sabotaged the inside wall of the pavilion to make an arched door fior the annex...I'll have to figure out a way to hide that later.

Attached Files:

7. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

here's where I'm at at this point...

Attached Files:

8. Catt

Catt Guest

Lookin' good :D
  9. Matt Probst

Matt Probst Member

Excellent "bash" Charlie..I enjoyed seeing it as it all came together.

Matt--Hershey, Pa.
  10. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Thanks guys!
    There's still lots to do on this one!
  11. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

It's amazing how you can turn some cheap kits into a neat "craftsman" type building! :cool:
  12. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Great kitbash Charlie. Interesting to see how you put this all together.
  13. davidstrains

davidstrains Active Member

neat bash, charlie
  14. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

...Not finished yet, and already a superb structure. Nice work, Charlie! I can't wait for more of this project!:)
  15. jkristia

jkristia Member

Great loking building. What color did you use for the walls?

16. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

All I can say is that this takes imagination and talent. Great piece of work.

17. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Thanks everyone! :)
    I've got plenty of imagination, but the talent...? I don't know...I'd like to think we havwe a pool of talent here at The Gauge, & we all share in that...I've seen some of your work, Don, & there are skills & talents there that I could learn quite a bit from! :)
    The walls of the structure were spray painted with gray primer, then brushed with thinned Polly Scale Aged White The black wash of India Ink & acohol then darkened it to a nice terra-cotta type color. The sloped roof on the main structure was primed with the gray, painterd Polly Scale Rust, & also received the black wash.

I'm making a shadowbox that will hold the diorama...I cut this from a piece of 1x16 pine board. Inside dimentions are 28x14x7 3/4 inches. I'll finish it with some stain & varnish, & the piece of masonite shown will be cut & painted as a backdrop.

Attached Files:

18. philip

philip Guest

Charlie, Lookin real nice!

philip :)
  19. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Well, I got the razor saw out, & cut some fans & grills off an old diesel shell...

Attached Files:

20. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

...& along with some bits of styrene, I used them to make this rooftop A/C unit...

Attached Files: