Train slows after short time

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by robertn, Dec 24, 2001.

1. robertn

robertn New Member

My son has a couple trains. One is a Bachman 4-6-0 holiday locomotive and two cars. The other is a LGB yard tender with two small cars.

We have the track set up around the Christmas tree. We use the LGB brass track, not the Bachman stamped track. We also use the LGB transformer. We have a tile floor, so the train isn't getting carpet lint on it or anything.

The LGB train runs and runs and runs. It never slows. The Bachman though, will come to a stop after 15 minutes or so. It stops when we use the Bachman or LGB transformer.

Any idea's what I should check? The track is clean. The trains wheels are clean. There's no lint buildup or anything on it.

I would like to continue running it, since it is a holiday train and matches with the tree, lights, ect.

Thanks in advance,
    RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif
  2. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

Have you lubricated the locomotive? Some locomotives need lubrication right out of the box. It could be getting too hot...

3. robertn

robertn New Member

Thanks for the fast reply!

The front wheels have a white lubricant on the axle. I would estimate it is sufficient; there is a thin coating. I would think any more would attract too much lint and dust.

The wheels are clean, and the axle looks to be in good condition. there is no discoloration or scarring.

We did use the train for a bit last year. At first we had the stamped Bachman track and then moved to the LGB track. It did the same thing.

I am thinking maybe cleaning the old lube off, and put a fresh coat on. But, all I have is sewing machine oil. Would that work? I can look for some better lube at the hobby shop tomorrow..

4. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

I don't know if sewing machine oil is safe. Some oils are not compatible with plastic. Your hobby shop should have what you need.

Is there some kind of access on the bottom that lets you oil the gears inside the locomotive? They may have gotten dry or fouled with dirt and dust.

Yeah, fast replies are typical here on The Gauge! We love to figure things out and solve problems. This board has been a GREAT learning experience for me!

All the same, though, you may want to post your question on Bachmann's "Ask the Bach-Man" forum. The Bach-Man usually responds within 24 hours and is usually very helpful when it comes to Bachmann products. The link is:

5. robertn

robertn New Member

Thanks! I did try cleaning the the axle, and sparringly applied a tiny drop of sewing oil; it did not help. After running it for a few minutes, it slowed down.

While cleaning, I did get a lot of black tarnish/gunk on the q-tip I used.

I'll stop this morning at the hobby shop; they carry some trains and should have the right lube.

Thanks for the help!

6. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi robertn
    Welcome to the gauge,
    I think your problem might be in the motor on the Bachmann loco, if it runs then comes to a slow/stop, is the motor getting hot? Give it a sniff..
    If it smells, then the motor will need replacing, if it doesn't, then try replacing the briushes.
    Best I can come up with wthout looking at it myself.
  7. Brian C

Brian C New Member

Bachmann engine

Hello Robert,
    That black gook you said you got on your Q-tip...sounds like you might have accidentally taken some grease off of the moving points while attempting to clean them. This grease is necessary!
    As far as the engine slowing might not be a matter of needing lubrication. If some light household oil (do NOT use WD-40!) does the trick, great. If not, I suspect the culprit might be a mechanical or an electrical defect. If that's the case, it's best you don't attempt to repair the unit yourself, but rather, send it back to Bachmann for repair work.
    Hope this helps. - Brian
  8. robertn

robertn New Member

Thank you for the reply. I have been slow in returning the locomotive to Bachman; as you mentioned the best choice. Sometimes, fixing things yourself is not the best course of action.
    RobertN in Shingle Springs, Ca