Train Shack Complete Ready for layout.

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by Hookedtrout, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Hookedtrout

Hookedtrout Member

Can't wait to see a picture of that, that sounds awesome! Sounds like the possibilities are endless with some immagination. My mind is turning now. I almost don't dare get started for fear of missing a great idea and it being to late to incorporate it.

2. Hookedtrout

Hookedtrout Member

Ok back to the Atlas freeware to expand the turns. I expanded the one end on my first attempt to 4' but it didn't look like the 18" radius would work there, I'll play some more. Keep the advice coming I'm taking it all in.
  3. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

I just thought I'd throw this out here for those who would like to run mountainous scenery, but are afraid of "steep grades." I checked a book out of the local library titled RAILROADS OF THE COURD'LINES (spelling?). This is about mountain railroads in Idaho from around the late 1800's to early 1900's. I'm not sure what the ruling grade was, but they had a pic of a 2-6-6-2 mallet like the model with tender that was offered by Mantua. It was pulling 6 cars and a cabboose, and the picture's caption said that was the maximum load for that engine without a helper?
  4. Hookedtrout

Hookedtrout Member

Step by Step

I'm starting the table, my plan is to build the support out of 2x4 and use 1/2 in CDX plywood for the deck then cover the entire surface in 2" foam board. My plan is to run a DCC, is there anything in particular I need to do for the wiring? Do I need to plan a pull out bench for the controllers etc? How big if yes.

Any other suggestions before I start cutting wood.

5. belg

belg Member

Hook the size of your pullout is going to be based on the amount of control you will need to mount on it. I for one would mount any switches and light controls on a permanent non moving section to prevent wiring problems. A standard keyboard undermount drawer would be adeqaute for your controller(s). Pat
  6. Hookedtrout

Hookedtrout Member

I plan on running two trains eventually but I'll probably start out with one for now so it won't be all that elaborate. It's being built for a 6 year old so I'm keeping the operation end fairly simple.