Train plays an April Fool's

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Well, if you know I'm a Geocacher, you'll know that on April 1, I was out driving and hiking.....

One of the geocaches has a history theme and starts out at a railroad depot :)

Across the tracks is a historic building. Shown here:

Attachments

• IMG_0972GG.jpg
    IMG_0972GG.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 143

N Gauger

Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Now, if you have a Depot... and railroad tracks... Guess what "just happened" to come along.........sign1 sign1 sign1

Why?!?!?!? It's number 9294 running southward through Felton Delaware :) :) I'm looking NW and trying to keep calm :D :D :D

The specs of this picture say "Taken 04/01/07 11:10 AM"

Attachments

• IMG_0975GG.jpg
    IMG_0975GG.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 144

N Gauger

Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
So - I drive to the next few areas... make a few more finds... and I come to a railroad crossing and the LIGHTS come on!!!! COOL!!!!!!!

Now... what do you think We See???????? :D :D :D :D

25.7 miles away... By rail... 29 miles by car and half a state South East.... and the Specs read: "taken 04/01/07 1:29 PM"

so it was 2 hours and 20 minutes later......................... Looking East - Train heading south......

Attachments

• IMG_0985GG.jpg
    IMG_0985GG.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 142

N Gauger

Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Now as for the "April Fool's Trick...... I expect to see a DIFFERENT train when I'm 26 miles and 2 hours away.... but it was the SAME train!!! I wuz tricked!!! :D :D :D I had the camera - and I got 2 sides of the same engine sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1

This stuff never happens in PA - - you see 2 trains - they are Different trains!!! :D :D :D :D :D

................ yeah - I know...............announce1 A P R I L ---- F O O L S!!!!

N Gauger

Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
CNWman said:
What's a Geocache?:eek:ops: :rolleyes: Sorry, but I really don't know what it is:eek:ops:
It's a GPS based Hide and seek game...... Someone hides something "Somewhere" and you try to find it with your GPS... there are thousands all over the US And the world.....

http://www.geocaching.com/faq/
A lot of them are historical... some are great views of interesting areas.......

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
GPS......Global Positioning System.
I sorta like Multiple Application Positioning Systems..........no batteries required!:D :D :D

Although, Computable Heading And Route Tracing Systems, also work well. :D

What ever happened to X marks the spot ? :D

N Gauger

Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
sumpter250 said:
I sorta like Multiple Application Positioning Systems..........no batteries required!:D :D :D

sign1 sign1 sign1 Yeah - - This is such a cool thing.. My Doctor Loves that I'm doing this... Imagine... Exercising.. Lowering your BP... Losing a bit of weight... and having Fun doing it :)

And some of the places are really nice to see....

As far as the "X"... It's still there - but it's within 20 ft of where the GPSr (Global Positioning System receiver) takes you... Some take 2 minutes to find... some take hours because you have to hike a few miles through woods :) :) And when your finished - - you always learn a bit about the area.. or what your body and attitude are capable of accomplishing... My fav so far was a 2.2 mile hike each way - to learn about a lighthouse... On the way back (mile 3.5) I started thinking about how much pain I was going to be in the next day.... But i learned just how much I can force this 48 year old body to do..... :) :D :) :D No regrets!!!

and a side effect is you get to bond with family (children) and friends!!!!

~~ Using Billions of dollars worth of Government equipment - to find plastic!!!
~~~ That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger......~ Niechie

N Gauger

Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
cidchase said:
Mikey, that was too cool... I bet yer jaw dropped a notch:D
Oh yeah!! Sure did - but not until i got home and was able to compaire the photographs. :D

I then traced the route of the train in Google Earth, to see how the heck it got 26 miles away sign1

.......... Then I decided to write the April Fool comments and post them here :) :)

N Gauger

Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
sumpter250 said:

oh and one more thing.... The act of Folding your "Multiple Application Positioning System" is very dangerous while driving at 65 MPH, I would rather use the Digital Multiple Application Positioning System inside the GPSr.. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
No Mikey, that's not what happened. As an April Fool's joke to railfans the NS temporarily numbered all of its locomotives 9294! You fell for it!!!! :)
That's OK I did too! :)

Cool story!

Ralph

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
Ralph said:
As an April Fool's joke to railfans the NS temporarily numbered all of its locomotives 9294!

And renumbered all their Conrail engines 6736? THe conrail's # is visible in the second pic. Plus, do you have a source link for where you found that story out Ralph?