Train plays an April Fool's

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by N Gauger, Apr 3, 2007.

1. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Well, if you know I'm a Geocacher, you'll know that on April 1, I was out driving and hiking.....

One of the geocaches has a history theme and starts out at a railroad depot :)

Across the tracks is a historic building. Shown here:

Attached Files:

2. N Gauger

Now, if you have a Depot... and railroad tracks... Guess what "just happened" to come along.........sign1 sign1 sign1

Why?!?!?!? It's number 9294 running southward through Felton Delaware :) :) I'm looking NW and trying to keep calm :D :D :D

The specs of this picture say "Taken 04/01/07 11:10 AM"

Attached Files:

3. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

What's a Geocache?:oops: :rolleyes: Sorry, but I really don't know what it is:oops:
  4. N Gauger

Well we find the end of our journey - for this history lesson and proceed to the next geocache........ 26 miles away in Eastern Delaware.....
  5. N Gauger

So - I drive to the next few areas... make a few more finds... and I come to a railroad crossing and the LIGHTS come on!!!! COOL!!!!!!!

Now... what do you think We See???????? :D :D :D :D

25.7 miles away... By rail... 29 miles by car and half a state South East.... and the Specs read: "taken 04/01/07 1:29 PM"

so it was 2 hours and 20 minutes later......................... Looking East - Train heading south......

Attached Files:

6. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

sign1 hamr sign1
  7. N Gauger

Now as for the "April Fool's Trick...... I expect to see a DIFFERENT train when I'm 26 miles and 2 hours away.... but it was the SAME train!!! I wuz tricked!!! :D :D :D I had the camera - and I got 2 sides of the same engine sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1

This stuff never happens in PA - - you see 2 trains - they are Different trains!!! :D :D :D :D :D

................ yeah - I know...............announce1 A P R I L ---- F O O L S!!!!
  8. N Gauger

It's a GPS based Hide and seek game...... Someone hides something "Somewhere" and you try to find it with your GPS... there are thousands all over the US And the world.....
    A lot of them are historical... some are great views of interesting areas.......
  9. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

GPS......Global Positioning System.
    I sorta like Multiple Application Positioning batteries required!:D :D :D

Although, Computable Heading And Route Tracing Systems, also work well. :D

What ever happened to X marks the spot ? :D
  10. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Mikey, that was too cool... I bet yer jaw dropped a notch:D
  11. N Gauger

sign1 sign1 sign1 Yeah - - This is such a cool thing.. My Doctor Loves that I'm doing this... Imagine... Exercising.. Lowering your BP... Losing a bit of weight... and having Fun doing it :)

And some of the places are really nice to see....

As far as the "X"... It's still there - but it's within 20 ft of where the GPSr (Global Positioning System receiver) takes you... Some take 2 minutes to find... some take hours because you have to hike a few miles through woods :) :) And when your finished - - you always learn a bit about the area.. or what your body and attitude are capable of accomplishing... My fav so far was a 2.2 mile hike each way - to learn about a lighthouse... On the way back (mile 3.5) I started thinking about how much pain I was going to be in the next day.... But i learned just how much I can force this 48 year old body to do..... :) :D :) :D No regrets!!!

and a side effect is you get to bond with family (children) and friends!!!!

~~ Using Billions of dollars worth of Government equipment - to find plastic!!!
    ~~~ That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger......~ Niechie
  12. N Gauger

Oh yeah!! Sure did - but not until i got home and was able to compaire the photographs. :D

I then traced the route of the train in Google Earth, to see how the heck it got 26 miles away sign1

.......... Then I decided to write the April Fool comments and post them here :) :)
  13. N Gauger

oh and one more thing.... The act of Folding your "Multiple Application Positioning System" is very dangerous while driving at 65 MPH, I would rather use the Digital Multiple Application Positioning System inside the GPSr.. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  14. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

No Mikey, that's not what happened. As an April Fool's joke to railfans the NS temporarily numbered all of its locomotives 9294! You fell for it!!!! :)
    That's OK I did too! :)

Cool story!

15. N Gauger

sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1
  16. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

And renumbered all their Conrail engines 6736? THe conrail's # is visible in the second pic. Plus, do you have a source link for where you found that story out Ralph?
  17. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Great Photo's Mikey.:thumb:
  18. Wabash Banks

Wabash Banks Member

Woot woot, a fellow geocacher! I am Wabash Banks on groundspeak as well.
  19. N Gauger

Oh Cool!!!! Always great to meet a fellow Geocacher!!! (I'm ngauger there as well)