train phone antenna

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
I've heard (never tried it) of heating a plastic sprue from a model kit over a flame until it softens, then drawing it out into a long thin thread. Cut off a section that looks to be the right length and thickness and, voila, an antenna.

davidbross

Sep 30, 2001
Visit site
Thanks. That's is not what I am looking for. These PRR train antennas are elevated on litle V like like things. I am trying to figure out how to model the whole thing.

davidbross

Sep 30, 2001
Visit site
Look up the MTH model of their M1a Mountain or any Pennsy n-8 caboose.
20-91098.jpg

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I model in HO and have been seriously considering using Athearn diesel hand rails to create a train phone antenna. You could move pairs of the stanchions (sp?) together to make those V shaped supports. I've included an unsophisticated pic here made on my scanner to at least give an impression of how it might fit. I haven't moved the stanchions where they should be or tanything. Are O scale handrials like this available?
Neat project!
Ralph

Attachments

• caboose.jpg
    caboose.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 106

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I built the one on this kitbashed caboose with steel wire bent on a home made jig.
If I were going to build one in O scale I'd use brass strap formed in a jig for the supports and solder in the cross braces to form the "A" shaped supports While in the jig.
See the thread "Pantographs" to see how to make and use jigs.

Attachments

• dec04#03.jpg
    dec04#03.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 100