Train Movies of note

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I like The Titfield Thunderbolt, an English film about a group trying to run their local branchline.
Disney's The Great Locomotive Chase was one of the first real train films I saw -- I went back as many times as I could find relatives to take me. I even started building cardboard models of the locomotives!
Tocatta for Toy Trains is a real classic -- I have two versions on a video tape.

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
I can't remember the title. A sick gent, has gotten a human made germ from lab, gets on train. Government officals tracking him, stop train and seal up windows berfore sending it on its way again. Person on board figures out train is heading for unsafe bridge and trys to get to loco cab past guards that came on at seal up stop. Train ends up crashing into river off bad bridge and contaminated bodies start floating down stream at end pf film.

Hi wortchillergoal
I think the movie you are refering to is The Cassandra Crossing, where the train goes off of a nice high arch bridge. An oldie but a goody. :)

wortchillergoal

Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by Pitchwife

Hi wortchillergoal
I think the movie you are refering to is The Cassandra Crossing, where the train goes off of a nice high arch bridge. An oldie but a goody. :)

Thank you, now that I see it in print so to speak I can recall it as being correct.

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
Visit site
You're right Bob, The Grey Fox with Richard Farnsworth was an excelent movie about the gentelman bandit.

What about Narrow Margin with Gene Hackman and Anne Archer? Traveling across Canada by train would be great as long as you didn't have a bunch of bad guys trying to kill you. :D :D :D :D

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Not a movie, but has anyone seen the TV series Peacemakers on the USA network? Besides having a good leading actor (Tom Berenger) and an interesting concept (early forensic science in the Old West), there's a train with a geared locomotive (sorry, don't know what kind) that makes frequent cameo appearances.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Well, if you're going to branch out into TV series, then we cannot forget Wild Wild West with Robert Conrad.

We will however try our best to forget about the recent movie of the same name....:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Don

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
I mention Grey Fox with Bill Minor because he is one of the black sheep in my family tree!! I can trace my Minor family back to Chew Magna, England where Thomas Minor was born in 1608 and migrated to America in 1629. His journal still exists and he talks about his friends like John Winthrop, the famous pilgrim. Thomas was also one of the original founders of Stonington, CT

And that's the history lesson for today:D :D

Bob

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
Visit site
Another movie where a train played a significant roll was in Some Like it Hot. Of course with Marilyn Monroe in it, it's not hard to understand why nobody paid attention to it. :D

Two more movies where a train wasn't the real focal point but had memorable scenes; In Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid where they blew up the express box with a tad too much dynamite, :D and one of the Clint Eastwood spagetti westerns (which one I couldn't tell you, I never could tell them apart) where he drove an engine through a bar, guns blazing of course. :D :D :D

As far as telivision I seem to remember a western series called Iron Horse where a gambler won a railroad in a poker game. I believe that Dale Robertson stared in it.

Face it, trains are EVERYWHERE!! ;) ;) :p :p :D :D :) :) :cool: :cool:

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Hi Folks:
I'd like to add Disney's "The Journey of Natty Gann". Story of a Dad and daughter in depression era Chicago. Dad has to leave for WPA logging job in Washington state and daughter, played by Meredith Salenger, rides the rails, hitchhikes and meets John Cusak on her way to find Dad. Great train scenes, great scenery, good coming of age flik to watch with your 10-11 + year old kids, especially girls.

Also agree with those who mentioned Burt Lanchaster's "The Train" as a great train movie. The train is one of the main characters in this one. Frankenhiemer's direction is great and the B/W photography suits.

How about "Dumbo" for the "Casey Jones" sequence?

Also, read a good book this summer, David Baldacci's "The Christmas Train". Great characters, probably not increadibly realistic but was a good read. Maybe i should start a thread on books, fiction only? Just did a search on thread titles and there doesn't seem to be one for this. Yup. gonna do it now.

Y'all take care,
Ted

Puppetengineer

May 6, 2003
Vancouver Island B.C.
Visit site
hmmmmm.....

Okay so heres a movie not everyone has thought about....

Back to the future 3 at the end when the delorien is being pushed along by the steamer whith the off color smoke...

.....At the very end as well whith the time travelling train....

.....Music man starts on the train...

Hey Wasnt that huckleberryFinn written by Mark train? :rolleyes: :D :)

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
What's the name of...

that rail ride on the British rail system where the train blazes thru? Obviously the film is speeded up. It's all shot from the cab. It's a panic.

Mark

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Mark
I think the film is called "London to Brighton in N Minutes", but I forget if the N is 5, 10 or 20.
One of the most gorgeous films is called "Night Mail" and was the mail train to Scotland with scenes of both the inside and the outside. It shows the mail crew sorting mail and preparing the mailbags to be exchanged at full speed. About 1950, black and white, all steam. Has anyone seen this on DVD yet? Our club's tape copy is getting a bit tatty.