Train Graveyard

FrankG

While visiting my family for the holidays, I stopped by the train graveyard on the edge of town -- about a 10 minute walk down the tracks from the house I grew up in. This is about half way between Philadelpha and Atlantic City in a small town called Hammonton.

Attachments

• NYC.jpg
    NYC.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 70
  • nyc2.jpg
    nyc2.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 74
  • whatsthis.jpg
    whatsthis.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 82
  • prr.jpg
    prr.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 70
  • prr2.jpg
    prr2.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 70

FrankG

More Photos

Here's a continuation..

Attachments

• texas.jpg
    texas.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 68
  • srnj.jpg
    srnj.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 72
  • nj.jpg
    nj.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 68
  • nj2.jpg
    nj2.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 73
  • heavy.jpg
    heavy.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 66

FrankG

The yellow one is a MLW M420W.

Don't know how to post a web link (won't let me), but I found some more of this location online at railpictures.net. One the homepage search, select New Jersey and for keyword, type "Winslow".

FrankG

One more gem I just found....that NYC loco in the very first photo I posted... the same exact one, 11 years earlier, same location. goto railpictures.net and add this after the URL /viewphoto.php?id=57276

brakie

That FA needs to be saved..Are there any railroad museums that could check into those antiques??

FrankG

Actually....I'm so interested in this now that I've been searching the Web for more info. Here's what I found out about the NYC FA.

That unit is reportedly owed by the Anthracite Historical Society. The NYC paint job was temporary, added for a showing, but not its original. Therefore, I question if the 1994 photo I listed the link to was the same loco. But this one (the one I took), is supposedly being restored to Lehigh Valley #596. Prior to that is was Long Island #604 and L&N #315. The unit supposedly has a working 244 engine.

I found this info by doing a search for "Southern Railroad of New Jersey" -- the current owners of the junction I took the photos at.

zedob

Hey Frank,

Is it an actual boneyard, or holding area for museums?

I think every MRRer should have one of those (train graveyard) in their town.

FrankG

Most of the equiptment is owned by a functioning freight company, but they only use a couple of the engines. Don't know why they purchased the rest.

I didn't climb inside any of them -- they have a trailer that the company operates out of. And while the guy was very nice about me taking pictures, climbing inside was out of the question.

CN1

WOW!! Indeed!

Anymore pictures? This is worth documenting in details. I don't know if I missed it, but where exactly is this?

Thanks and Happy New Year :wave:

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Its a holding yard. the GP7 and MLW locomotives are still in use. in fact, #800 is actauly a fairly new aquisition. i heard the 44 tonner picutred was scavenged for another 44 tonner on the railroad somewhere. there was supposedly something specail about this other one, but my memory is really foggy.

the SRNJ also had a former LV Alco C420, i haven't heard of it being scrapped, so i suppose it still somewere on the system. Have you been to Winslow Junction? thats where they keep alot of other locomotives.

I can only imagine that the passenger cars are being held for a mueseum.