Train Chasing...

WM-N-fan

Today I saw a NS intermodual train go by at about 70 MPH. I chased her for about 25 miles. This time I shot it with a digital camera, but unfortnately I'm not sure if you can post digital 15 sec. clips. Anyways I caught it at an at grade crossing outside of Chambersburg Pa. It was powered by what I belive are GP60's. A team of four were used. The train was on NS's New York to Atlanta mainline. The containers and trailers werre bound for Port Elizabeth, New Jersey. I chased the train down US 11, going 80 MPH on a 50 MPH zone! I finally got a lead and turned down a country road to watch it at a grade crossing. It was amazing seeing about 200 cars approach you at about 70 MPH!

railohio

I had a similar chase this past weekend of a southbound on the Indiana & Ohio. Chased that booger for almost thirty miles. Ended up shooting him six times, and breaking some speed limits in the process. :D

brakie

I recall chasing the 765 through Northern Kentucky back in the 80s. I have heard stories how those NPK Berks could flat out get it on down the line,but I never thougt I would see one in the 80s. I was doing 50 in my car and she walk off and left me! I finally caught her in Maysville KY cooling her heels at a red block. I always thought steam locomotives was restricted to 35 mph.Silly me. :D

Pooh Bah
Steamer speed limit

Brakie:
There is a rule of thumb that steam locos are limited to miles per hour of the driver diameter in inches.
This has been broken many times.