train accessories

Pat Roma

What is the proper scale or guage for accessories to O gauge trains such as ,People, cars, buildings etc. I have asked this question in local hobby shops and get different replys.

Pat Roma

Response

Thanks CATT, big help for future of my new layout. PS, how do I send a photo of a model I built of the Battleship Missouri to anyone interested? It is radio controled and all wood construction witcxh took approx., 9 months to complete.

Pat

billk

Welcome to The Gauge, Pat. I'm sure any pix of your modeling efforts would be appreciated here.

By the way, I see by your profile that you are interested in building a small (4x8) O scale layout. Uhhh, you might want to rethink either the size or the scale. Maybe some of the rest of us can comment on that.

Pooh Bah
O scales

Pat:
If you got different replies, there are different O gauges out there.
O gauge is 1.25". If we use 1/4" to 1' scale, that's a 5 foot gauge, fine for the US South up to the civil war.
The reaction to this was (1) ignore it (2) narrow the gauge to 1 3/16" (4'9" prototype) (3) build to a larger scale (17/64"=1') (about 1:45.176....)
Option (2) meant building all your track and trying to squeeze your drivers in by 1/16". This was called Q gauge.
Option (3) meant you could buy commercial track and wheels but had to build everything else.
(1) has had the majority opinion for years; there are some fine scale people that I think are trying to revive (2).

It is sometimes said that O-27 trains are built to 3/16"=1' (1:64 or S scale). I think this is leftover from pre war American Flyer, because they used it and then after the war switched to S gauge.

The British use 7mm=1' and call it 1:43 or 1:43.5. Track gauge is 32 mm, but someone wants to use 31mm.

Can anyone tell me if the metric countries use 1:50 scale?

Go with Catt! 1:48, 1/4"=1", 1 1/4" gauge.