Traction Night on Friday

interurban

And we decided to put the 5 sections together,, It was last Christmas week when we did this the last time for the Hobby shop we store it in, and the November Christmas show 2003 when it was last on view.
So we had a fun night just to operate three new traction models Glenn and I had scratch built.
Also it shows some of the senery we have done.
The Black one is a Glenn product and the 2 red one`s are from my production line:D

All three run sweet!!

Attachments

• p1010001.jpg
    p1010001.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 185

interurban

Here is a shot of the three units taking a bow:thumb:
They need a bit more work yet ,,detailing and such,, but that is a small introduction to the Traction in Action layout.
There is more posted of this in past post`s.
It was a good night ,, if only to see how much more work the layout needs.:wave:

Attachments

• p1010032.jpg
    p1010032.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 171
Hey, Chris!

:thumb: :wave: :thumb: :wave: :thumb: :wave: :thumb:

Very sweet! There is NOTHING that can compare to MUs coming down the main under the wire! THAT'S the look I'm shooting for with my MUs! My best to you and your friends on a job well done...setting the pace!

Russ :sleeping:

interurban

Hi and thanks jon and Robin, glad you like them..

Hi Russ, Thanks matey!!:thumb:
My goal is a three make up "coach in the middle" ..
I am working on plans,, as always time, work , family and money set the pace:( But we have come a long way:D :D
This is the model we take to railway shows...And we get a lot of intrest,, Some folk have Never seen traction or heard of it!!!!!!! So we educate a lot of folk.
Then we get the seniors who come over and say " I remember them and rode on them".
That is choice,, and a real talking point:cool:
We up here are Glad to get you and Jet on the gauge.
:thumb: And look forward to more pics for all to enjoy.
Tractionaly yours.

Lighthorseman

Neat-O!

Your picture are always a delight, Chris...and these are NO EXCEPTION! Boy, I'd love to see that "traction in action". :thumb: :)

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Hi Chris...

Nice work on that gas station too...! I am now down to about 6 different options for my circa 1925 gas station... ;) :rolleyes:

Andrew

interurban

Thanks Steve ,, next time you are in Toronto look us up we will give you a private showing:D :thumb:

Hi Andrew glad to add more options to your 1925 Gas station:wave:

jetrock

What standards do you use for your modules? I am on the verge of starting a modular traction group focused on the SN in particular and northern California traction lines in general--I would be very interested in learning what sort of specs that other modular traction groups use!

Oh, by the way, the modules and the cars look great!

interurban

Hi Jet,, we model HO,specs that are as near as we can get without loosing good operation, by that I mean we rely on sw 7 Atheran motor for our power.
Now because we don`t count rivits we get great operation on the layout.
They are out of scale but not that it would jump up and bite you:D
We as a group have between us, a library of books on all thing Traction:D
We also have scale plans on lots of Canadian electrics
I have bought Brass ($$$$$$) and been disappointed with the running ability, Bowser have just got a decent motor but you have to adapt it for your scratch built model,, or you can buy a Bowser white metal traction unit they are good but they only do one.
Sydam motors I have a few:( will not go looking for them.
Spud motors:( no starter for me.
We use Pantographs again for great operation. Poles will turn your hair white, Prototipical on most roads may be:D But on our layout they get a PAN:thumb:
This post is how I throw them together.
http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7224

La bell do great wooden kits and the Atheran motors look great in them.

jetrock

By "specs" I meant for the modules themselves--how wide, how long, what sort of connectors, where must the track be located at the ends to make them all fit together?

I certainly won't criticize you for using SW-7 motors--I plan on using an SW-7 motor and chassis to make a model of SN 420 in its later, cut-down form--the dimensions are pretty close, and the rest will be relatively simple to scratchbuild as soon as I get a good riveting tool.

I only got into traction about a year ago but already have a growing traction library, including many plans for SN and CCT motors. I'm a member of the Western Railway Museum (a local trolley museum) as well as a docent volunteer at the California State Railroad Museum so I have access to a lot of prototype materials and information, including close-up looks at authentic SN and other antique engines and rolling stock. That helps!

I'm going to use two-rail power instead of overhead, because my line will run diesels as well as traction, and part of the SN was powered by third rail. But most of the freight motors used on the SN used pantographs for power anyhow--they had trolley poles for use on the RAMON and other areas where pantos wouldn't work, but generally they'll be just for show.

interurban

The Traction Model,, we built 5 sections 3 of them are 30" wide and the city consists of 2 34" wide all are 4' long.
Each have folding table legs.
they are joined by door hinges I think they must be 4" . Half a hinge on each section.
They all go together and pinned, we take some shims incase the floors are uneven.
We decided to stand it table high so all the kids can se it without being pick up.
Also we purchased persplex cut down and we bolt it around the model for safty the poles can put an eye out if kids got to it and bent down over the poles!!!!
It`s finished with a burgandy skirt.
Where ever the track and overhead cross the section we leave 5 or 6 " free of scenery and fit a connecting track / The over head has special eye connections solder to the poles so we can span the section and put the tension back in the wire.
I hope you can understand that lot Jet:D

Attachments

• p1140002.jpg
    p1140002.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 50

jetrock

Makes sense to me--we're taking a look at East Penn and some other clubs' standards before we write up our own. I like the clear plastic against the edge of the layout--cuts down on der gefingerpoken!!