Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by jlg759, Mar 23, 2006.

1. jlg759

jlg759 Member

I have a question on trackwork. I just started laying track on a new layout. I am using foam for the top and I have an area that has a small hump. I have ran test trains over it with no problem. My question is does the trackwork need to be silky smooth? I also was wondering if all track joints need to be filed.
  2. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

The smoother the trackwork at this phase the happier you'll be later. If you have some track joints that could use filing I'd do it. I've had to go back and re-do a section or two that I convinced myself was "good enough" in the track laying phase because I didn't want to work on it any more. Fix it now! :)
  3. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

A small hump in the roadbed can translate into frequent uncoupling as long cars go over it. Best to take it out while you can -- file or sand or cut. You can leave a hump outside the roadbed in the scenery.
  4. jlg759

jlg759 Member

The track is not a hump its more like a small dip. Looks realistic and I have had no derailments or uncouplings as a result of it.
  5. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Sounds like Penn Central trackage to me! :) Seriously, if your equipment (and I mean all of it) seem to take the dip without a problem then I guess you can risk it. Besides, as I mentioned above, one can redo things later...its just nice to not do it after ballast and scenary are in place.
  6. viperman

viperman Active Member

I'm curious about this dip. Do you have a picture?
    I say that if your equipment works well, just leave it.
  7. jlg759

jlg759 Member

Here Are Some Pix

Here are the pix as requested.

Attached Files:

8. green_elite_cab

green_elite_cab Keep It Moving!

you will want to fix it soon. i have a dip very much like that in my track wrok that i haven't replaced yet. on longer cars ( like my 85' commuter cars) get pulled over the dip, and what happens is the wheel flanges and everything go aboive the rail, and the truck is no long raile althoug it some how stays level until it hits normal track and starts clunking on the plastic ties.

you should get it fixed now, not later when there is more scenery and ballast.
  9. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Realistic though it may look, fix it now! You'll save yourself some hair-pulling later on...

Gus (LC&P).
  10. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Better fix it...our beloved little beasties just don't forgive us that easily.:thumb:
  11. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

I had the same problem.
    Running my four axel diesels wasn't a problem, but when I ran my big six axel, the side that had the dip would ride down, but lifted the opposite side causing derailment.
    I'd fix it now like Ralph said....Lets just say experience is a good teacher.
  12. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

It may look realistic, but real trains can run over rougher track than models.
  13. davidstrains

davidstrains Active Member

I think your answer is "fix it now, before you get any further along in your scenicing and building". You will be glad that you did it earlier than later.