trackwork

jlg759

Jun 3, 2003
stateline pa
mywebpages.comcast.net
I have a question on trackwork. I just started laying track on a new layout. I am using foam for the top and I have an area that has a small hump. I have ran test trains over it with no problem. My question is does the trackwork need to be silky smooth? I also was wondering if all track joints need to be filed.
Thanks
Joe

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
The smoother the trackwork at this phase the happier you'll be later. If you have some track joints that could use filing I'd do it. I've had to go back and re-do a section or two that I convinced myself was "good enough" in the track laying phase because I didn't want to work on it any more. Fix it now! :)
Ralph

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Sounds like Penn Central trackage to me! :) Seriously, if your equipment (and I mean all of it) seem to take the dip without a problem then I guess you can risk it. Besides, as I mentioned above, one can redo things later...its just nice to not do it after ballast and scenary are in place.
Regards,
Ralph

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
jlg759 said:
The track is not a hump its more like a small dip. Looks realistic and I have had no derailments or uncouplings as a result of it.

you will want to fix it soon. i have a dip very much like that in my track wrok that i haven't replaced yet. on longer cars ( like my 85' commuter cars) get pulled over the dip, and what happens is the wheel flanges and everything go aboive the rail, and the truck is no long raile althoug it some how stays level until it hits normal track and starts clunking on the plastic ties.

you should get it fixed now, not later when there is more scenery and ballast.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
I had the same problem.
Running my four axel diesels wasn't a problem, but when I ran my big six axel, the side that had the dip would ride down, but lifted the opposite side causing derailment.
I'd fix it now like Ralph said....Lets just say experience is a good teacher.