Discussion in 'Track Planning' started by bobstuart, Nov 30, 2005.

1. bobstuart

bobstuart New Member

:wave: Hello all. This is my first post. I have attached an N scale trackplan (or at least I think I have). Comments are welcome.

Attached Files:

2. interurban

interurban Active Member

Hi Bob and welcome. But no track plan ?
    Keep trying. :cool:
  3. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

4. bobstuart

bobstuart New Member

Thanks Cid.

5. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Hi Bob,

Assuming that there is a wall around the outside of this plan, I would suggest a rework to get the yard at the top closer to where the operators stand (inside the U?). If your scale is one squre = 1 foot, then you are at about the max for a comfortable reach to those industries along the wall (~30"?).

And welcome to The Gauge!

6. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

If it's 1 square = 1 foot, those curves are 30" and that's a 250' turntable. This isn't an HO plan. I think they're 6". That would make the plan 10'6" x 8'6". The curves are thus about 15", and the reach shouldn't be a problem, except maybe to the back of the bottom turnback curve. But that should be livable, because there are no turnouts at the back of the widest part. The reach to the yard will be no problem.

Wrapping the yard lead around an end loop... nice idea. Often used to use it myself on the endless plans I drew.
  7. kchronister

kchronister Member

I think it's very nicely done. I would flip the "mainline" and yard at the top, so that the yard is "inside" the mainline. That would also allow you to connect the yard and turntable together, making a more realistic "complex" with yard and "engine facility" together.

At the same time, I would think about hiding that section of mainline under some scenery to provide a little more visual "separation".

You might also have room to make a long two-ended spur along that now-hidden section of the main, thus providing some hidden staging where a train can be held to emerge later: You could have one train go in and 'disappear,' bring another one out, and vice versa to create more illusion that the trains are "going somewhere" off the layout, then returning later on having made the trip...

If the double track around the top loop is intended as a staging/holding type track, you could then consider dispensing with it, and giving yourself a little more room for your roundhouse/engine service area.... Oh wait, I see now - that's your yard lead. Never mind that last part then.