Trackplan

Im pavariangoo!

Apr 13, 2005
Hi

I am new here and i was told that this would be the section to ask about track planning so here goes,

does anybody know of a trackplan that is not to heavy on switches and that can be done in a 2x6 or 3x4 in n scale . It has to be expandable though.

I checked www.thortrains.com,www.atlasrr.com and mikes small track plans (which arent bad but i cant get the site to open).

Anyway does anybody have a good plan for this. It is n scale and i want shunting and continuos running and prefferable a dogbone.

Many thanks

Pavariangoo

Im pavariangoo!

Apr 13, 2005
Ok

Some more questions,

Are there any bad things about building a Dog-Bone type layout? I have decided that it can be over a board of 2x9 or 3x6. I would prefer 2x9 and my Peco ST-15 curves just fit on that board. They are the widest curves i could find! ;)

Dog-Bone layouts are good. I was going to have a "Ladder Yard" on my layout but those requires special insulating and Blocks ect. Eliminating the ladder yard also eliminates some of the cost so it is not to bad!

Ok ,

I would like to put a bridge somewhere on the layout but i am not sure where. I thought i should work that out before i start. I want it to be on the mainline so it has a purpose. I am thinking using a foam board as a base for my table will help to make things like cutting out a lakebed easier. What do you think?

I will be using flex-track but no raodbed because it is so complex. Unless i find roadbed that i can just lay down straight from the pack than i am not going to use any.

Finnally,

It would be great if somebody could post a link to a trackplan or post a trackplan on this topic as i am terrible at designing them.

I really aoppreciate all the help.

Pavariangoo

Im pavariangoo!

Apr 13, 2005
Here is an idea of what i would like to do. I would like to put a turntable and a bridge in though so keep that in mind. Now for the important bit. Be critical and point out any good or bad aspects of the layout.

I want to know anything wrong with it because i want to find the errors. As people tell me things that could be changed i will keep that in mind and post updated plans.

I do not know if the picture will come out or not so thi maybe embarrasing!

PAvariangoo

Im pavariangoo!

Apr 13, 2005
Cool

I think i got it to work!

Here is an idea of what i would like to do. I would like to put a turntable and a bridge in though so keep that in mind. Now for the important bit. Be critical and point out any good or bad aspects of the layout.

I want to know anything wrong with it because i want to find the errors. As people tell me things that could be changed i will keep that in mind and post updated plans.

Pavariangoo

Many thanks

Attachments

• Track Plan 1.doc
    45 KB · Views: 46

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi Pavariangoo,

Looks like you are well on your way to answering some of your own questions! ;) Sometimes thinking out loud can really help...

The plan you posted is bigger than 2x6, or 3x4, plus it has many switches, so I assume that those are no longer issues...? You may however want to consider the 3' width (at least for the loops) to allow for the wider curves suggested by Robin in your original thread.

You may want to consider using DCC to control your trains, as running two (or more) on the layout you have planned will require quite a bit of wiring and electrical switches if you stay with DC.

Roadbed is really not that hard to install, and you can get one piece (Woodland Scenics foam roadbed is one piece I think). However, if you go witht he pink or blue (extruded) foam deck, you can install the track right on that.

The placement of the bridge is entirely up to you, but if you want a turntable and engine facility, you could put it with the yard at one end of the layout. This way you could eliminate one loop because you have the TT to turn the engine(s). It would end up as a "point to loop".

I would urge you to think about what sort of industries and scenery you want before you go much further. Space requirements for big industries or spectacular scenery may force a change in your plan.

Hope that helps.

Andrew

CalFlash

Oct 31, 2004
central Florida
I agree with Andrew about planning for industries. Too many layouts feature what I consider too small of industries to even justify rail service. Less but larger (and more impressive) industries will look better and justify the traffic - in fact, volume may actually be greater. But you must plan for them.

If you look at my track plan off the link in my sig line, you'll notice that the layout is actually a loop-to-loop but with the loops being on a lower out of sight level allowing for scenically pure running and suggesting connection to points beyond the modeled portion.

Im pavariangoo!

Apr 13, 2005
Hi

I will be mining and i would also like assorted industries and i love to watch huge lines of rolling stock.

This is the new track plan

Pavariangoo:)

Attachments

• Track Plan 2.doc
    28 KB · Views: 35