Track

Burton

Hello Everyone this is my first post to the site and won't be the last...
Does anyone have any thoughts about Fleischmann Track? I have a mess of it and wan't to build a layout that looks good, every picture I've seen in books and mags show the real thing with the ballist (spelling?) and all. The Fleischmann has the ballist on it allready and looks (kind of ) cool but I want it to look great. Any thought's??
P.S. I am setting up for HO gauge.

shamus

Registered Member
Hello Burton, and welcome to the gauge.
Fleischmann ballasted looking track was the "IN" thing years ago, but IMHO not very realistic enough. Very good indeed for running loco's on. If you want my opinion, I would try and sell/part exchange it for Peco/Atlas etc. and do the ballasting and rusting the rails yourself. You will get all the help in this matter right here on the gauge. Good luck, here a photo if Peco track, before and after.
track.jpg

Shamus
wink.gif

mykroft

I've got a decent amount of Profi-Track (Fleischman also makes standard sectional Model Track in the same sizes as it's Profi-Track) (A+B Start Set, C and F set plus a bit of extras). It's very good track, but I've had a few problems with the curved turnouts (Because they are very tight radius, the outer curve is roughly 15" radius).

I was going to build my layout with it, but decided instead to go to Peco Code 100 turnouts with Atlas Flex and a bit of Atlas sectional, for cost reasons and to get wider curves. The major weakness of the Fleischmann track is the extremely sharp curves that it's optimized for. The only other problem I've had with it is the frogs on the turnouts are a bit high. It does have a number of advantages, especially with it's very well designed grid system. I would rate it as being the best sectional product on the market and lightyeard beyond any other integrated roadbed product (Except maybe Marklin's), although I do prefer the Peco Turnouts, for their wider selection and better frogs.

Note that Fleischmann sells matched loose ballast for the Profi-Track, so you can add a thin layer of ballast over the integral roadbed for a more prototypical look.

Burton

Hey thanks for the info guys, I read an article last night in " Track planning for realistic operation" and I came to the same conclusion. So now the big task. Figuring out what type of lay out I wan't. Thank's for the tips guys. Any good sofware for laying out tracks around? I think I've seen some??

jon-monon

Atlas is hard to beat for the money (free), easy to use and exports to bit maps so you can post 'em rat here and we can opine :)

Actually you should post them on the track planning forum, or I'll get smaked for steering ya wrong. :eek: :eek: :eek: Oh, and welcom to our world.

shamus

Registered Member
Originally posted by jon-monon

Actually you should post them on the track planning forum, or I'll get smaked for steering ya wrong. :eek: :eek: :eek: Oh, and welcom to our world.

Your right there Jon my friend, all plans into "Trackplanning" please.
Shamus
wink.gif

RaiderCTE

re

Shamus,
quick question.
On the painting of the rail. how did you do that. I have no air brush so I would have to brush it on the side then wipe the top clean. Also, what type paint goes on atlas nickle oil or latex? Thanks

billk

Hey RaiderCTE - I'm airbrush-deprived as well.

For painting rails, I found a nifty way. Go to a well-stocked artsy-craftsy store, like Michael's, and get a "DecoColor Opaque Paint Marker". It's sorta like a ball-point pen with paint instead of ink. There are various shades of brown available, get a darker one. It gives you a lot more control than using a brush, and you can zip along pretty fast painting the sides of the rails.

Keep a rag handy to wipe off anything that accidentally gets on the rail tops.

If you do flex track before installing it, you'll need to do a little touch-up because when bending it the rails will slide in the tie strip, exposing some unpainted areas.