Track

shelbys_dad

Nov 27, 2007
Fairbanks, Alaska
While trying to come up with a track plain I started to ponder whether or to use flex track or sectional. My plain is a 1850-1890 Romanian logging community through mountains and forest terrain. I'm going to use that era steam engine if can acquire one.

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
With sectional track, it is easier to get smooth curves in the smaller radii. But the big limitations of sectional track are limited geometry - you are limited to the curves available - and the multitude of track joints.

The Achilles heel of most track systems is the joint between sections. Rail joiners do not do a great job of holding mechanical alignment or electrical connectivity over time. Flex track minimizes the number of joints, and gives you freedom to to achieve any curvature you want.

To use Atlas flex track in particular, you need to learn to solder the rail joints on curves. Otherwise, the natural springiness of the track creates horizontal kinks in the curve at the joints. MicroEngineering flex track, OTOH, has little to no spring and holds a curve once it is bent, but you really need a form or template to pre-bend it to to get a smooth curve. In either case, you will also need a set of rail nippers to trim the rail ends of flex track.

Hope this helps

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
The other benefit of flex track, which is even more important with tight radius curves, is that you can form easments easily. A big part of the problem with curves is the 'instantaneous' change from tangent to curve. The easement makes this change gradually, and reduces the 'shock' going into the curve.

If you are creating a trackplan, you should get John Armstrong's book "Track Planning for Realistic Operation" if you haven't already. It's the first and best reference on many track planning topics.

Jeff

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
Great prototype era! I've had cheap flextrack survive for 15yrs without soldering and not impair operation...so I definitely to not believe in the need to solder the joints. But, I do think that soldering does improve it (unless the layout is in an unheated room and every joint is soldered...expansion/contraction).

I wouldn't really consider sectional track...flex is cheaper and looks slightly better.

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
Whether you need to solder flex track joints depends on a lot of things. The type of track would be the first. Some hold a bend, and might not need to be soldered, some spring back almost totally, and will almost always need to be soldered on curves, at least. How you fasten the track can also make a difference.

It is true that you don't want to solder every joint. Generally, you want to leave a little gap where straight sections join, to allow for movement.

Jeff

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
If you go for flex track, you should look for a track curve gauge. This is a piece of metal (usually) that fits between the rails and is formed to the curve desired. Drop it in and the curve is forced to size and to be smooth.
If you don't take it all the way to the end, you get a natural easement.
There is no reason you can't mix sectional and flex track especially if the sectional is about the size you're looking for. (They should be the same size - called "code" which is .001".)

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
If you go for flex track, you should look for a track curve gauge. This is a piece of metal (usually) that fits between the rails and is formed to the curve desired. Drop it in and the curve is forced to size and to be smooth.
If you don't take it all the way to the end, you get a natural easement.
There is no reason you can't mix sectional and flex track especially if the sectional is about the size you're looking for. (They should be the same size - called "code" which is .001".)

I can see the usefulness of the gauge, to a degree. But the beauty of flex track to me is NOT having a particlular radius. Draw a centerline, and follow it. The only trick is at joints, but the eyes are pretty good at seeing smooth, once you do it a bit.

Jeff