track stay put

l-train0502

Dec 22, 2005
I have my track tacked down in every spot and some how I am still getting gaps. How do I fix that? Solder? If it is solder what is the best why to do that?

Thanks

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hi there!
Soldering does help keep things together, but before you do check and see if you might be dealing with a humidity issue that is affecting your road bed. Some materials like homosote respond to changes in the air and can swell or shrink causing those little gaps. Painting homosote, for example, seals the material and ends that problem. Soldering before checking for humidity warpage may lead to tracks shifting enough to form little kinks.

Ralph

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I don't see where you are from, but another thing that causes problems here in the Southwest is sun. If the layout is in a sun room where it can get direct sunlight, the track will expand during the heat of the day and contract when it cools off. The same is true if your layout room has wide variations in temp. Finally, make sure your track is put together correctly. If you are using snap track and don't get it assembled carefully and tacked down correctly, you can introduce kinks into the track and cause problems.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
I have the same problem here in the Northeast with my layout in the attic(no AC). A portion of an un-ballasted track expanded, kinked and actually ripped the rails from the ties on a ballasted portion.
What a mess...Having to re-lay ten feet of track.

petepuma

Jan 26, 2005
Salem, Oregon
My layout is out in the shop. I figured that the temp swing wouldf affect things so I laid the track in the Spring and fall. IOf course it doesn't get super cold or hot in Oregon :)

I also made things nice and solid by soldering things up and files it down nice...It's amazing what that will do...