Track spacing

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by jmurphy148, Jan 17, 2008.

1. jmurphy148

jmurphy148 Member

Just a quickie question.
    In an N-scale layout what is the recommended minimum track center line to track center line spacing for parallel tracks?

Appreciate any help,
  2. roch

roch Member

I would guesse that it would depend upon clearance of 2 trains passing safely upon a curve in the layout. Don't quote me on that.

3. jmurphy148

jmurphy148 Member

I did find a reference in Westcott's book that specifies 1" for straight track and broad curves.

4. alcuin

alcuin Member

I don't know what's recommended, but the parallel tracks on mine are spaced 1 5/16" apart. If the tracks are on cork roadbed, that's about as close together as they can be.
  5. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

6. ozzman

ozzman New Member

If there are medium to sharp curves watch out for the overhang of long cars and locos.
  7. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Roger has provided the definitive answer - it's a link to the NMRA Recommended Practices... Most of the model railroad equipment produced these days conforms to these standards and RP's.

8. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

Here is one that might help also. Check what class of train you will be running on top of page and go to the radius you will be using.
    S-8 Track Centers
  9. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

Westcott halved HO values for N. Since N is about 5/9 of HO, his values won't work. 1" is just over 13' in scale - a common prototype spacing for straight tracks, though nowadays railroads generally do it wider. Modellers, especially in the smaller scales, often can't space tracks as closely as the real thing.
  10. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus