Track spacing

jmurphy148

Nov 8, 2007
Cape Coral, Florida
Just a quickie question.
In an N-scale layout what is the recommended minimum track center line to track center line spacing for parallel tracks?

Appreciate any help,
John

roch

Jan 1, 2008
Denver, CO
I would guesse that it would depend upon clearance of 2 trains passing safely upon a curve in the layout. Don't quote me on that.

roch

alcuin

Dec 29, 2007
I don't know what's recommended, but the parallel tracks on mine are spaced 1 5/16" apart. If the tracks are on cork roadbed, that's about as close together as they can be.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
John,

Roger has provided the definitive answer - it's a link to the NMRA Recommended Practices... Most of the model railroad equipment produced these days conforms to these standards and RP's.

Andrew

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I did find a reference in Westcott's book that specifies 1" for straight track and broad curves.
Westcott halved HO values for N. Since N is about 5/9 of HO, his values won't work. 1" is just over 13' in scale - a common prototype spacing for straight tracks, though nowadays railroads generally do it wider. Modellers, especially in the smaller scales, often can't space tracks as closely as the real thing.