Track screws??

zigg72md

Jun 27, 2005
I am at the point now where I am screwing my track down. I was told that nails used long term would work themselves out and be a problem(true?). I am running HO Power-loc track on top of grass paper covered plywood. I have in my layout an over-under fig8. My question is where do all of you cost thrifty people get the screws to hold down your track and trestles. Home Depot/Lowes does not have screws small enough. My LHSs have screws but there $5 for six. Even these screws look a little big to be used on the trestles under the fig8. Am I missing something? Any help is appreciated.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
zigg:
what gauge track are you using?
For HO I would probablu look for #2 screws. The big chains usually don't stock them so look for a small local hardware (HAH!) I've never had to fasten any of that type of track down so I can't advise further.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think you will need to find an industrial hardware supplier in your area to get the screws you need. They may need to special order them, but you should be able to buy a box of 100. Since I use flex track exclusively on my modules, I don't mount them with nails. I glue them down with contact cement and then glue down ballast and let the ballast glue hold the tracks in place.

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
track

I use latex silicon calking for glue. A small bead, smoothed out, then set the track on it. Nails hold it in place for an hour or so, the pull the nails. Stays good, or can be popped loose if necessary.

Lynn