Track schematic help!

Jun 18, 2004
barboursville, wv
Hello everyone, is there anyone out there that could help me draw my track plan as a schematic? Im wanting to post it here to try and get some help on planning operations. Is there any software out there that may help in this? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
steve:wave:

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Is your plan some chaotic arrangement where you can't tell anymore if what you've drawn makes sense or not? :D We all do that at some time.

I can try. Could you post the track plan?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Steve,

You can sketch it with MS paint (as you yourself suggested) or use one of the free track planning programs like Atlas RTS or XTrkCAD. The learning curves on the programs can be quite steep though.

Triplex only needs a sketch to do a schematic, so try that first. For more information on how to post pictures on The Gauge, follow the link in my signature.

Andrew

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
No. A schematic is a stylized drawing of how the layout operates. You may have a continuous loop with a number of sidings, but operate it as if it was part of a much bigger system. The schematic would show the layout, but in a linear fashion, perhaps with a dotted line to illustrate that there is in fact an allowance for continuous run.

The difference between a sketch and actually drawing the plan is just what it sounds like. The track planning software will allow you to draw your plan accurately to scale so you can build benchwork the proper size, or estimate how much flex track you'll need.

Perhaps we should back up a bit and ask why you want a schematic...? In your initial post, you ask for help with operations. You can do this with or without a schematic, but the schematic would certainly provide information on how you see your railroad.

Andrew

Jun 18, 2004
barboursville, wv
Andrew, the reason i want a track schematic is so i can post my layout track and hopefully get some ideas and suggestions on how to best operate my layout with the type of industries i have on it. Thanks for all of your help!:wave: