Track Questions

5450pete

May 10, 2005
I am going to build a staging area on the lower level of a new layout. I am planning on using code 100 track but may switch to code 83 for the upper level becasue of looks.

I have some questions:

Has anyone used Model Power track and if so, what were the results? The track seems like a deal at Trainworld. I could save some cash at least on the staging yard by using Model Power track but don't want to find out that it kinks, is out of gauge, or has other problems.

Do IHC and Rivarossi pizza-cutter flanges work on code 83 track? Does the mfg make a difference if it works or not? The kids and I have some older stuff we just can't part with.

Any comments or help is appreciated!

Stuart

Oct 18, 2006
Ballarat, Australia
HI..

I don't know of model power track but if it's cheap it maybe be OK, but you could be better off buying say Peco or Atlas code 100 track, I say code 100 as if you have large flange wheel code 83 and smaller could be a problem.

As you know "you pay for what you get" one thing you should not sell short is GOOD track.

Stuart
PS I hand lay code 70 rail

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
I don't know why it wouldn't work fine for a staging yard. Code 83 definitely looks better on mainlines with most modern equipment.

santafewillie

Aug 4, 2002
era tx
Visit site
Check that Model Power track, it may be steel instead of nickle-silver. Steel = rust! I mistakenly purchased some cheap Model Power track about 20 years ago and it was steel.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
At the modular club our standards required code 100 for years because of members having old Rivarossi equipment, the guy who heads up the standards committee wanted to run code 83, so he got a piece and checked the Rivarossi on it. He found that the big flanges worked fine on code 83. Even though the track is smaller, the spike detail is also smaller. You could try a package of Atlas code 83 snap track and see how your big flanges fit.

5450pete

May 10, 2005
I think it is nickel silver, not steel. However, like you said, I am worried about it being too much of a good deal.

As far as code 83 goes, that is great news about the Rivarossi locomotives. I will have to take a unit to the LHS and give it a shot on a turnout and straight track.

Thanks for all the feedback. If anyone else has anything to add, I'd appreciate it!