Track question

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
I have 22 inch Atlas True track.

I want to run a double main line on the shelf layout I am planning.

Cab I get a larger radious?

If not in Altlas how 'bout Bachman?

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Gil, why not use Flextrack? It's probably cheaper than sectional and you can make whatever radius you require. I had a few pieces of sectional track, plus a bunch of decks from Atlas bridges. The foreground of the picture below shows where the rails went. :D

100_5709.jpg

Wayne

Iron Horse

Mar 23, 2006
SE PA
That track is mostly made for beginners with simple layouts. Most simple layouts use 18 and 22 radius, that is probably why they make it that way. You could use 22 on the outside curve and 18 for the inside.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Wayne,

I like that green color you've got on some of those buildings. What color is it?
Also love that heavyweight bringing up the rear of that local. Great modeling...!!:thumb:

Gus (LC&P).

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
I guess I am simple and a beginner after 20 yeras in O gauge.

I don't care to mess with all that glue and ballast material.

I will stick with my Atlas true track.stooges8

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Thanks guys. Gus, the green paint was mixed from Floquil Light Green and Grey Primer, although I don't recall the proportions. The combine is a shortened Rivarossi diner. GottaBreal, where's your hobbyshop? I go to the one in St. Catharines, when I have time. I've been interested in trains since I was about 3, although I've had model trains for only the last 50 years or so. Wow! Didn't realize it had been that long until just now, when I typed that last sentence. :D

Wayne

gottaBreal

Sep 13, 2006
Great White North
Doc,

My hobby shop isnt anywhere, Ive been out of the hobby for about 10 years now however did a great job storing my parts. Im currently track planning a 2 level layout in a 3x10 space with Helix and staging yards in the backroom. Im going to model the late 1970's takeover of many railroads by Conrail which will lead to some great paint jobs on my fleet.

However I used to love going to Niagara Central hobbys I think it was called and droll over all the Brass loco's. Are they still around.?

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
doctorwayne said:
Gil, why not use Flextrack? It's probably cheaper than sectional and you can make whatever radius you require. I had a few pieces of sectional track, plus a bunch of decks from Atlas bridges. The foreground of the picture below shows where the rails went. :D

Wayne

My old rail ended up on a 40' flatbed with some scale lumber. If / When I get a layout put back together I'll have to have some rusted piles on the side of the line as well. Yours looks pretty good :)

R. MARTIN

Sep 12, 2006
ALLEN, TEXAS
Wow! You guys don't pull any punches when it comes to sectional track vs flex track.
I do agree that flex track is better considering the reduction in the number of rail joints, thus the reduced chances of kinks/binding when coming around a curve. Also, I've noticed a tendency in the atlas track to slip in it's tie plates causing the ends to be un-even as it follows the curve.
Concerning the transition from 100 to 83 or back, I've seen rail joiners that do that job without the need of a piece of transition track.