Track question

Woodrow67

Dec 7, 2004
Yes, I am a newbee to the model train world. So I am sure this is a very beginner type question ,but here goes. I want to set up a small track in my basement using e-z track.Because I have no permanent location. I have to use a table that is used for multiple things . So I want to place a board on the table that I can remove when The table will be used for other purposes. So I will need to fasten the track to the board when I have the setup the way I want it to be. So my question is how do I fasten the track to the board ? Small screws. tacks, etc? I will be using bachmann e-z track. As I said I am new to this and am trying to get my young son interested ,he is 3yrs. I will be starting with a 4' x 6' board I may go bigger in time but this will fit my budget for now. Any help is greatly appreciated...:)

Thanks!

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
There are several ways of fastening the track, tacking, gluing, etc. I use a good caulk. After the track is set exactly the way I want it, Ilift it, shoot a SMALL bead of caulk, smooth it, or spread it with my finger, then set the track on it. It sticks in place immediately but can still be moved and adjusted. Run a train to make sure all is right, then leave it for an hour or so. After that, it is solidly on, but if you want to remove it, slide a knife under it and it pops off. Not so with glue or liquid nail. They are permanent. I'm not saying this is the best way, but I use this method and am happy with it.

Lynn

SteamerFan

Sep 3, 2004
Hit the local Train hobby shop and get some track nails. E-Z Track has preset holes in it for just this purpose. or you can use caulk or liquid nails (a personal favorite of many modelers), but the nails should be sufficient if you plan to move the board about alot.

wjstix

Nov 18, 2004
I would go with the track nails, if you glue the track down now, it will make it harder to make changes / additions later.

wjstix

Nov 18, 2004
Good point, usually I grab the head of the nail with a blunt-nose pliers and just push it thru into the plywood. Unless you hit a really hard bit of wood it is usually pretty easy.

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
i recommend if you are going to lay track on a sheet of plywood it needs to be braced underneath. 1"x4"s should do fine. if it is not braced then over time (not long) the wood will begin to warp severely and the will cause tacks, glue, etc. to start coming out on the wood b/c the sections of track cant bend as easy as the wood so there for it will create extremely major problems. i found this out my self when i build my first layout about 10 years ago. bracing should be along the sides all the way around and at least an X pattern across the middle or just long ways. when i used the E-Z track i was very disappointed b/c the track only had one size and a 4x8 3/4 thick sheet was just not big enough do to the fact that the track was on the very extreme edge of the board and there was no room for anything else except a train to derail and go strait on the floor. good luck

Charles

Woodrow67

Dec 7, 2004
thanks for the bracing idea, I had not thought of the warping issue. I will plan on doing that. Do you know anything about I may be calling it by the wrong name . Flex track, And if it can work with the E-Z track. What I am sure I will find out is all this will only wet me and my sons appetite for bigger projects inthe future.:)

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
hey woodrow. i havent used E-Z track in a long time that now all i have is the Power-Loc system from Life-Like. ummm flex track can be used but it isnt an easy task. well for the power loc track it's not easy b/c it doesnt have rail joiner's. but how ever it can be done. if you wanna know how to do it let me know and i will draw up a diagram and instructions on how to do it. lol if you seen my profile dont let a 19 y/o scare you away b/c i've been doing this for the past 19 years lmao. i had a couple people ask me stuff like this and then they found out how old i was and they sent a message back like "oh never mind. i got it" lol.

charles

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
You can join flex track to the EZtrack, but it will sit about 1/4" off the table. This maens you need about a foot of grade to take it to table level, or a quarter inch of roadbed to fill in. You can get cork or rubber or even wood roadbeds.
Check around the gauge for info on these, and on flex track. If you start using flex track, you can build layouts with more freedom, but you get problems when you want to change things. With a 3 year old, you may find that changing the layout around happens oftener than you expect.