Track Plans....Opinions?

fvracer85

May 31, 2002
Michigan
www.sblv.us
Ok, I'm STILL playing with track plans......have a look at these and tell me which one(s) you like and why.....I'm very interested in everyone's opinions (experienced modelers or not so experienced, doesn't matter).....sorry about size but I had to do it so the details would show through....

Layout19.jpg

That was #19

Layout20.jpg

That was #20

Layout21.jpg

...and #21....opinions?

Thanks,

Martin

fvracer85

May 31, 2002
Michigan
www.sblv.us
Ok, I guess I may as well throw #22 into the mix too..... Which one do you like best folks? [:D] Let me know..... [?] If you don't like any of them let me know that too....and why you do or don't like 'em would be REALLY helpful..... (I'm still a newbie thrashing about here..)...

Layout22.jpg

fvracer85

May 31, 2002
Michigan
www.sblv.us
I'm partial to #22 (I guess they are supposed to get better with revisions).....there is only one problem, that yard is back against the wall again. I have a sinking feeling that reaching 3 and in some places 4 feet over to a yard will become an issue as time goes on.....thoughts?

Martin

Hi Martin,
I think #21 has the best access to the yard.
I'm not that experienced with this, but it seems to be quite a reach into those corners if you don't have access holes. I don't know how you're getting to the corner on your current SBLV!!
I vote for moving the roundhouse over as far to the right as you can and putting Sweet Village in the corner. Mt Sweet can come on out into the room but no to the duckunder.
Well, you asked!! :D :D :D

marty w.

Jun 11, 2002
Bloomington, IN
Visit site
Martin,
Is the wider blue line near the roundhouse a wall?

If it is, I think you will have trouble with access.
You might consider leaving a 12"-14" space between the wall and the end of the layout for access.

A 3' reach is OK if you stand on a step stool. You might what to mock it up (with you existing layout) and see how it would be.

I have a 2'8" reach and the layout is 48" high. I use a step stool to reach the back. It's OK, but I do not reach back there very often.

You should also mock up a duck-under on your existing layout. Leave it there for 4-5 weeks and see if you will like it. Remember all materials that you use to work on your existing layout must pass under that duck-under. Oh, don't forget to carry your loco's and rolling stock also.

Marty

scoobyloven

Jan 13, 2002
zeeland michigan
Visit site
hi martin here look at this plan i took out your duck under and moved the track a little in my book i hate duck unders i have a nice big scare on my back from one..and it makes the rest of the layout hard to see if you have some one that can't go under it soo i hope you like this a little better