Track planning junkies

coachC

I was wondering if any of you track planning software junkies could turn Kent J. Johnson's Turtle Creek Central into a 4.5 x 6.5 foot layout... seen here...

Amazon.com: Basic Model Railroad Track Plans: Small Starter Layouts You Can Build (Model Railroader Books): Books: Kent J. Johnson

page 43

click look inside book and type in "turtle creek". It is the only part of the book available for viewing.

I would like to see the 45 degree crossing removed and that middle section just becoming a spur. I would also like to see a passing siding on the right hand side, and a two track spur on the bottom left.

I've tried my hand at the software stuff and I just can't get it. I just thought this might give someone a small challenge for fun.

As much as I'd enjoy helping you out with this, I just don't have the time right now, but I'd like to throw a related question out there as well - any of you other 'track planning junkies' draw your plans in AutoCAD instead of one of the track-planning softwares?

Nomad

Hey coach, i'll play but I don't have an account there. Can you do a save as on the picture and e-mail it to me?

Loren

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Do you mean this plan?

cleardot.gif

Attachments

• tcs.jpg
    tcs.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 145

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Turtle Creek Southern, expanded to 4.5 x 6.5, with a passing siding on the south side and no crossing.

Attachments

• tcsbig.jpg
    tcsbig.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 8

coachC

Squid,

Those are great. I really like the second one. I meant to call it the Turtle Creek Southern instead of Central in my first post. When I finally build a layout I just might use that second plan if you don't mind.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Coach,

Glad to help. That extra 6" in the width makes a lot of difference!

All those plans use Peco small radius turnouts, like the original plan... just so's you know!

As much as I'd enjoy helping you out with this, I just don't have the time right now, but I'd like to throw a related question out there as well - any of you other 'track planning junkies' draw your plans in AutoCAD instead of one of the track-planning softwares?
In designing my layout, I originally tried using Atlas RightTrack, but only for a basic prototyping, as it was too limited on the selection of turnouts.

I can't afford AutoCAD, but did the final (as-built) drawings in Corel DRAW. I will be using these as base drawings for adding electrical stuff.

You can see the difference in the software in the first two images at the website in my sig.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
...any of you other 'track planning junkies' draw your plans in AutoCAD instead of one of the track-planning softwares?
I do but that's because I've usd AutoCad now for 10+ years as a drafter for a civil engineer, a structural engineer, and an architect. I use AutoCad for everything. Sheesh, I use it SOOOO much that a lot of times I find myself trying to use AutoCad commands in the real world... like the UNDO command!:mrgreen:

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
- any of you other 'track planning junkies' draw your plans in AutoCAD instead of one of the track-planning softwares?

Nope, for two reasons - time and money.

XtrkCAD is free (!!!) and while it has a steeper learning curve than say RTS, isn't nearly as complex as AC. So you're up and planning much faster.

While XtrkCad is only 2D, personally I think 3D is a nice luxury, (and a bit gimmick in MRR CAD) but a bit over-rated, and certainly not a necessity for good track planning.