Track Plan

Haggis

May 29, 2006
Anyone tell me how i can post a Track plan to get some thoughts and comments on it??

Regards

Alan Aitken

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Hello Alan, if I read your plan properly, I see, that you only have a clearance of 20 cm between your levels. And you even have to subtract some space for benchwork (or a piece of plywood), roadbed etc. from those 20 cm. How about lightiing for your 2 lower levels? I think you will end up with only 10 or 15 cm left between your levels, hardly enough to build any scenery.

Haggis

May 29, 2006
Cheers for the reply.

The Staging level will be below the main boards and have no scenery.

The other two levels are on the same level just higher, so it is not the different levels.

the mid level track will be on the lower levels on the lagoon hillside and the higher level will be futher up the slope, so the scenery will be one.

Its as if the middle of the room will be a lagoon or bay, and the benchwork will be the hills around!!!

I hope this makes sence???

Cheers

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
I guess I'm trying to understand the operational flow. From what I see, you have the sawmill at the summit, with a dock and trestle bridge much lower down. Staging is below that. But there is no logging or log loading area. Seems to me that ideally you would want a loads in/empties out arrangement at the sawmill, and an empties in/loads out arrangement at the log loading area.

Don't know a lot about Eastern logging. But Western logging tried to put saw mills beside some kind of water storage for the logs where available. Typically, the best harvestable stands of trees were upslope. So logs would be loaded up in the mountains, transported downhill to the saw mill, and then further transported to some kind of interchange with another railroad, or to a marine terminal on a large lake or ocean port.

I would draw your 2nd and 3rd levels to scale, super-imposed on each other so things like clearances and grades can be checked. Also, with a non-scale drawing curves and turnouts don't take up as much room as in real life, and it's impossible to know whether passing sidings are long enough for your proposed train length.

yours in scale logging

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Your lower staging level has me a bit perplexed. It appears to be drawn as a mainline with multiple short passing sidings. I have a few questions. 1. Does a logging railroad even need staging? Staging is usually used to simulate locations beyond the layout. Unless you have a class 1 railroad interfacing with the logging railroad to pick up lumber with a train passing through from off the layout, and then to deliver the lumber off the layout, I'm not sure it is needed. 2. If you are going to use the staging for a class 1 railroad to have trains to pick up the lumber from the saw mill, how much traffic will there be. I think that typically the sawmills were more likely to be located on a branch line of a railroad than a mainline. 3. Why have such short sidings in an unsceniced staging yard. It doesn't look like any of those sidings in the staging yard will hold an entire train. Finally, I have to agree with Fred, I think you have the elements that belong on the upper level on the lower and the lower level on the upper.