track plan time

storm

ok i am puting this in here insted of in the track plan section cuz on one will ever see it in there. lol. i want to know what u all think. if u dont like it tell me y u dont. it is n-scale. i need feed back.
aao.jpg

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Wow! Looks like a lot of operations potential! I'm not a big fan of duckunders now that I'm in my 40's :) but the plan looks good to me. One suggestion: you might want to lengthen the switchback spur at the refinery if you can so you can switch more than a couple cars at a time.

Best wishes with the plan!
Ralph

C

Catt

Looks good to mer too. I do have some questions though.How big is this room?Are those squares 12"?

storm

yes the squares r 12" ther space i have to use is 7x6 the yard is going to hang over my bead like a shelf. it is going to be about 55" off the ground so that is clears the bed. opps i for got to tel u that is was going in my bedroom lol. that is y it is so small that is all i got to work with.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
It sure uses up the space well Jeff. Thats a lot of track and switches but looks very interesting from an operating point of view. Enough industries to make switching interesting. I agree with Ralph as it will be easy to extend the spur at the oil refinery.
Now this is a true duck under as it extends over you bed so wonder what you will have as a view while lying there.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Jeff: put some of that pink foam on the bottom of the shelf over your bed. :thumb:
You seem to have all the operating interest at the top end. (just an observation). You may find you need to extend the yard lead over the second river bridge at the bottom.

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
It looks to me like a very good operations plan.To operate this effectivly you may need 4 or more people.Do you have room for that many and that many operators as friends?

Its a very ambitious railroad and will be not only time consuming to build but expensive as well.the yard alone is going to get quite costly.

I dont know how much time you have to devote to building and maintaining but this layout will eat up alot of time.
If you work a full time job or go to school fulltime this could very easily take you over a year to get operationaland twice that to get scenicked.
I would consider building this as modules if there is any chance you may need to move in the future which will also add a little time.this will of course help to have something to operate while building the rest much sooner.
I dont want to dampen your enthusiasm here but this is alot of railroad for 1 person to try to build.consider this carefully before pushing forward at warp speed :)

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I second all those extentions. If budget and/or time are an issue, consider laying all the mainline and passing trackage first. That way, trains are up and running soon enough to get you thru the long haul on the remaining track. As for the duckunder, there are those mechanic's type "creepers" that you sit on to roll under the layout.:thumb: :thumb: on the design.