Track plan help needed

Discussion in 'Track Planning' started by Sandia, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Sandia

Sandia New Member

Guys ,

My hair hurts from over taxing my brain in trying to lay out Marty McGurks Carolina Central. I have an 8 ft by 32" in table covered with 1 inch Blue foam. I have arm chaired for over 30 years and this is my first attempt to build a lay out. I have accumulated so much stuff over the years and no place to put it on a lay out. Trying the old KISS system I find my self going the other way with to much trackage and will end up with an electrical monstrosity.

The basic idea of the plan is a staging track befind a half mountain carved out of foam that is accessable from the rear, but I want two stages plus the main, after the mountain is in I want a spur line that runs along the mountain to the New Bern coal mine , the mine is a must, because the layout is based on coal in West by God Virginia, there is a passing track that allows switching to a factory and in my case the Medusa cement building for 2 bay hoppers, and a lumber supply company on the tail of the siding. A train station, I do have a crack Rivorrisi B&O Pass. set. A river, I have made Blairs open deck wood bridge, also have the Atlas bridges for the other side of the river. I also have frieght buildings that have to go to work to. Any one with any ideas that could help this old Geezer out, it would be most appreciated. Also need ideas for a control panel to mount on the side of the table, all controls are Atlas as of now, open to change .

These are my wants not saying that I will get them, I have accumulated almost two hundred cars in the 30 years and now is about time I run them. Any help or questions about this you knowledgeable folks can send me will be appreciated. I forgot, this is steam orientated, need water tower,and maybe a coal chute of the passing engines., also a couple of yard tracks to hold the coal cars from the mine for pick up, an I dreaming or what, have the Walters ice house stuff ready for the reefers too. This is a B&O out fit. Ask me some time why I am a B&O fan.

thanks for your time,

2. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Hi Red, are you limited to this size or is that just what you have so far? What scale? Point to point, loop or combo? Better go Zn30 if you wanna turn around on 30" :D :D :D
  3. Sandia

Sandia New Member

My error in not placing all the facts on the table, this is N gage and and 32 inches wide gives a pretty good curve without binding it up. Actually with the track just laying there I moved it in to about 30 inches so it wouldnt be so close to the edge and actually McGurks Carolina Central is on a 28 by 80 inch door and it didn't look bad at all. From the picture in MRR and the soft cover book that it is in it looks pretty good.

4. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

red first off happy birthday second jon did you take your meds today narrow gauge Z do you get a mircoscope with that

ok back to the ? red thats fine for a turn works out to be a 15 degree radious but your staging will have to go inside the oval if thats what your going to do me am working on my layout down a tread or two down from this and using 19's as a min. but I have alot more room:D :D :D :D rich
  5. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Hi Red!
    I remember that MRR article, but without having it in front of me, I'm a little fuzzy on the track plan...
    I do remember that hidden staging idea, & that's a very nice little touch...& that was actually borrowed from John Allen's original Gorre & Daphited.
    (Another nice touch that I remember, was that they included Atlas rerailers on all the staging tracks, & anyone who has had to rerail an N scale train, can appreciate a feature like that! :rolleyes: )
    Anytime you can make trains dissapear from view, you can add the illusion of great distance to even the smallest layout.
    I think, though that a 15" curve (radius is measured from the track center, between the rails) is going to be a bit too wide for a 32" base...The train would literally be skimming the edge of the layout.
    I'm currently building a little N scale layout that is 32" wide, also, & I went with a 12" curve radius. I think this is fine for N scale, unless you're running really long equipment...(i.e. articulated steam, 86' cars, etc...) My layout is going to be a shortline coal road set in the 1930's, so all I will be running is my 2-8-0 steamer, & 30', & 40' cars.
  6. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Red, do you have a drawing started that you can post?

BTW: Why are you a B&O fan? Perhaps more importantly, why do I feel compelled to ask?
  7. Sandia

Sandia New Member

Jon, Not at the present time do I have anything I can send, will attempt soon, scanner is giving me problems , waiting for some one with some knowledge of the system to give me a hand, a couple of days and I should be able to get something on the air.

Maby moons ago in my former life when I was young and tender I was an aircraft mechanic in the Navy stationed at Patuxent River MD. Was sent to the Allison jet engine factory in Indianoplis, Indiana. I believe this was either1951 or 52 right about this time of the year.for training and instruction of the new J33 Jet engine. Was driving with a buddy in my 46 Mercury club coupe to Indy. Severe ice storm in MD and DC area, we keep plugging along on US 50 heading for Indy, turns to snow bad scene, get close to Grafton, West by God Va. and pull the tranny of the car.
    Car gets towed to a local garage, we stay in that gigantic hotel that you see pictures of in RR books about Grafton WV over looking the yards of the B@O. Never saw so many steam engines and coal cars in all my life. They had a battle trying to open up the yard and get the switches deiced, snow as was waist high. After two days in the hotel they got a few Passenger trains going and We proceeded on to Indy. More to come out of space.
  8. Sandia

Sandia New Member

continuation of previous:

Two weeks later I get a post card saying car is ready, they said it took so long because all the mechanics were snow bound out in the hills of West by God. Took train back to Grafton, stay in hotel that night and by that time things were rolling, what a beautiful sight to see all those engines and trains, never again I guess. I used to live in Saten Island NY as a kid and the B@O ran the frieght line, so I was sort of brought up with the B@O and really was taken back with all the activity at Grafton. and I made my mind up many years ago that was the RR for me.

To bring you up on how times have changed, the cost to rebuild the tranny in that old Mercury $65.00 and he appologized for taking so long. Anyway long story as to why I like he B@O
  9. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

great story red :D :D rich
  10. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Excellent story fellow brownshoe!!! Where else did your Naval take you? Anywhere overseas? I think my dad was floating around Korea in a Large Slow Target as he called them. That was after he gave up his WW2 borwnshoes and put on the 0 crest. Guess he got tired of workin' for a livin? Too bad his brain is going to jello, so I don't get many war stories.
  11. asab501

asab501 New Member

I have been in the planning stages using this plan and have been trying to come up with different variations. I chose this plan because it offers different techniques to hone skills from tracklaying to the scenics.

Charlie: To refresh your memory I have attached a picture of the layout. I utilized RTS to lay it out on the computer and to test various configurations. The only difference is that it is expanded a little from the original layout to fit on a 36" x 80" hollow core door. Hope it helps anyone that wants to remember the concept of the layout.

Red: I'll try to keep your concept in mind and when I have some of that "rare" time see if I can aid you in any way.

Thanks to all on this forum. I have been "lurking" for a while and there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people here and am looking forward to gathering and sharing ideas.