Track Painting

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by gerry m, Aug 30, 2002.

1. gerry m

gerry m Member

N-Scale shelf layout.

Guard rails in place...

Attached Files:

2. gerry m

gerry m Member

... and now I've got four coats of paint and washes on the ties and they are still not right.

Attached Files:

3. Edavillenut

Edavillenut Member

wait till you get the october model railroader there is an artical in there on painting track and it works. i got the magazine yesterday and painted a peice of track and it looks real good.
  4. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

The ties look fine gerry but in the second photo the track could use a little toning down. In the first photo everything looks great. I just paint it all a flat black then brush some pastel chalks over the ties.

Attached Files:

5. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Hi Gerry!
    Those are some great looking trestles!:cool: :cool: :cool:
  6. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Hi Gerry, Still love your rocks! I think the ties are fine, it can get frustrating when you're trying too hard. On the first photo, as Tyson said, there are some bright spots on the rail. the joiners on the far end, and up front, and the tips of the guard rails. I think the scene looks great. Now on the second photo my first thought was "cool, a NYC GP20" my second thought was "it's pulling a passenger train over a wood trestle" But the ties still looked good!

7. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Gerry, I tend to brush not spray the rails with a dirty brown/red, then wipe off the tops of the track afterwards. This also gives a rather nice effect to the sleepers as well.

Attached Files:

8. Gavin Miller

Gavin Miller Member

I loved the scene in your photograph.

The track/rails look VERY realistic - well done.

9. Tyson Rayles

Thanks Gavin! :)
  10. Vic

Vic Active Member

Great Minds

I've got a pamphlet that Geroge Sellios put out 20-25 years ago on weathering track. He and Tyson use the same method.;) Obviously great minds are working in unison:eek: :D :D :D ;)
  11. Tyson Rayles

And those great minds would be Sellios and who?????????:eek:
  12. Vic

Vic Active Member

Why George Sellios and the master of Applachain modeling the one and only Tyson Rayles!!!:eek: :D :D :D

PS: (You may send payment in unmarked bills):D :D :D :D
  13. Tyson Rayles

Good thing I hung on to the money from that old monopoloy game! :D