track laying questions help?!

13Mtrainer

Aug 21, 2004
central pa
hi everyone, i am not new or anything but as you probibly now i have a first layout by train clown now i am starting all over with a basement around room type layout (still in planing stage) but have some questions on laying track. i am working in HO. with a space of about 22' by 22'??:)
1. what should i put under it?
2. how should i lay/hold it down
3. on straights should i leave in untacked?:confused:

thanks much
13Mtrainer

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
While I model in N gauge the same should hold for HO. I glue cork roadbed in place with white glue. Then I use spikes through the holes in the center of the ties to pin the track in place. I pour on ballast and arrange it to my liking with a brush. I wet it with water that has a drop of detergent in it. A small spray bottle works good. Next I use a mix of white glue and water, about 50 50 and put it on the track with a squeeze bottle.
Once this dries, usually overnight, I then remove the spikes. I do this with all track straight and curved. This holds the track firmly in place and allows me to cut gaps where needed with my Dremel cut off wheel.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Matthyro said:
While I model in N gauge the same should hold for HO. I glue cork roadbed in place with white glue. Then I use spikes through the holes in the center of the ties to pin the track in place. I pour on ballast and arrange it to my liking with a brush. I wet it with water that has a drop of detergent in it. A small spray bottle works good. Next I use a mix of white glue and water, about 50 50 and put it on the track with a squeeze bottle.
Once this dries, usually overnight, I then remove the spikes. I do this with all track straight and curved. This holds the track firmly in place and allows me to cut gaps where needed with my Dremel cut off wheel.

To add to Robin's instructions, on turnouts, if you put a drop of oil on the throwbar, hinges in the points, and all ties that the points will slide on when the switch is thrown, that will help to keep the points from being glued. Also be careful to keep ballast below the tops of the ties on turnouts. Make sure the oil you use is plastic compatible like LaBelles.