Track Cleaning Cars ???

MinnMonkey

I am wondering if anyone has any strong feelings for track cleaning cars? Do they work? Are they worth the cost? Which ones work the best?

I am running DC and for the most part my track seems clean. At lower speeds, sometimes I hit a patch where the train either stutters or stops, and I would like to prevent that.

I have been using a Bright Boy, but that get too tedius.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
if you have an old boxcar,just drill out some holes and screw a piece of masonite to the bottom of it.this isn't very abrasive but it makes a very good preventative cleaner cleaning up dust and dirt before it builds up to thick.just run it like a regular freight car and it'll keep your track a sparklin! there are commercial car cleaners but I've never used um.id suspect there a little better for the heavier stuff but i wouldn't want to leave'em on till long as that sandpaper may cause scratches after a while.--josh

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
MinnMonkey, what bigsteel said is in my opinion one of the best things you can do. If you want to you can attach some lead weights to the masonite, so they apply a bit more pressure to the top of the rails.

Btw, track cleaning cars should only be run after you've gone manually over your track with a track rubber. Their job is not to clean the rails, but to keep them clean. Also pour some benzine onto the masonite that heps it polish the rails.

steamhead

Lookee here...The best track cleaning car is sitting on your layout right now....All you need to bring out its full potential is a TRACK GUARD, which I'll be relisting on eBay this week (or do it direct...whatever..). I tried the masonite before I came up with this...Beats it hands down...

Thought I'd show a couple of pics so's you all that aren't familiar with it could take a look.
The first is a "ground hog's eye view" so you can get a better look at it. The second is how you'd normally see the trains.
Attached Thumbnails