track bed on top of the foam?

kitsune

Sep 10, 2006
I would definitely NOT use a hot glue gun. When extruded styrene foam gets hot it melts and it can give off toxic fumes. Even hot foam cutters generally recommend ventiliation while cutting.

I've seen a number of other options chosed. Latex Liquid Nails, spread thinly. I've used yellow carpenter's glue, and thumbtacked the cork or other roadbed down while it's wet. Either of those is foolproof and safe.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
I attach the cork bed to the foam w/ Elmers glue. Spike it down overnight to dry and remove spikes.

Dragon

Nov 13, 2003
Western NY
www.dragonmnt.com
I started with liquid nails and almost choked on the fumes. Yes, liquid nails DOEs have noxious fumes.
Switched to Elmers yellow glue and everything stuck perfectly. It is also easy to clean up when you slop it all over yourself.
Go ahead...ask me how I know. :)

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
I've found that just using the rail spikes into the cork is sufficient. Everybody always talks about gluing their track down but I don't think I am going to unless I have some problem areas. Of course once I apply and glue the ballast, that will accomplish the same thing I guess.

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
Jasbourre and others:

The latex caulk is great. I went to Lowe's and got the tube of NailPower Foam Board Adhesive to glue the foam to the plyboard. That stuff rocks! Just give it time to dry correctly. It is a solid as a rock now.

I also am using the DAP Kwik Seal Tub, Shower, Sink, and Countertop Latex Adhesive Caulk to place my foam roadbed and track. That stuff rocks too; since a minor screwup, I can say that using the latex caulk really helped in removing the foam from the foam. A putty knife was all it took to get what I had done back up off of the bench. So I am sold on Latex Caulk now.

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
I think the white latex is suitable for painting. I do know that the clear stuff will not hold the paint. I used clear to hold the track to the roadbed, and the white to secure everything else.